Rep. Ritchie Torres
A
I admire Senator John Fetterman for openly seeking treatment for depression at Walter Reed.

Back in 2010, I was hospitalized for depression. I would not be alive, let alone in Congress, were it not for mental health care.

Millions of Americans are rooting for you, Senator.
03:53 PM - Feb 16, 2023
Facts & Friends Podcast
A
In response to Rep. Ritchie Torres.
We agree 100%, @RitchieTorres . We even spent a good amount of time praising his decision and deriding his detractors in our latest episode. #MentalHealthIsHealth
https://podcasts.apple.com...
09:55 PM - Feb 21, 2023
NeverNotBlack
A
As a NYer I'm so glad you got the help that you needed. You're an asset in our state's caucus. I'm sure Sen. Fetterman will be just as successful.
08:35 AM - Feb 19, 2023
TheLadyRed
A
thank you for openly discussing this. we all need mental health care sometimes.
12:25 AM - Feb 19, 2023
Canby
A
Bless you for sharing that. Talking about depression and/or other mental health issues will help in the long run to destigmatize it. Most of my family has suffered from depression at one time or another.
04:36 PM - Feb 18, 2023
Jon Pessah
A
Mental health should be a standard part of our health care coverage. Instead, mental problems still carry a stigma. Fetterman's decision to seek help will end up helping many more Americans than just the courageous Senator.
12:08 PM - Feb 18, 2023
Mask Wearing Amy
A
Thank you for being open and discussing this! Every person, but especially every male who opens up about this is saving lives.
07:50 PM - Feb 17, 2023
Irene Costa
A
Same here.
12:44 PM - Feb 17, 2023
Rottiegirl
A
Clinical depression is also common post Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery, hip fractures, other major health challenges. In other words, depression is common. Mental health is part of healthcare.
09:59 AM - Feb 17, 2023
Ben Burch
A
Amen. Depression sufferer here. Chronic. Lifetime. Happy he is getting treated. A major life change such as he had often results in depression.
07:58 AM - Feb 17, 2023
Wireless Folks
A
Rep. Torres - thank you for sharing this delicate information. I believe it helps others to seek help without fear or shame.
05:33 AM - Feb 17, 2023
9Gen
A
Thank you. Your truth matters so much to so many.
03:01 AM - Feb 17, 2023
Katheryne Helendale
A
As much as mental illness and depression are stigmatized in American society, it takes a very brave person to recognize when he or she needs help and to seek it. You and Senator Fetterman have my deepest admiration and respect.
02:58 AM - Feb 17, 2023
Lisa Oney
A
Thank you so much for sharing your story! The only way to destigmatize mental health medical issues is to talk about them! 👏👏👏
01:06 AM - Feb 17, 2023
DrHiding
A
My SADS is always on the verge of landing me in hospital at exactly this time every year. It's incredibly important & #JohnFettermanIsTheBetterMan
12:42 AM - Feb 17, 2023
Michael Yuda
A
Thanks for sharing that @RitchieTorres ...from another person who went through similar stuff...
12:15 AM - Feb 17, 2023
Joan Gallo-Silver
A
Thank you for speaking out. The more people who do, the less stigma will surround depression. It is also important to note that people who have had strokes do suffer from depressions.
12:05 AM - Feb 17, 2023
ceirdwen cfc
A
Except for the Congress part, same.
#EndtheStigma
11:32 PM - Feb 16, 2023
Susan Simon
A
Kudos to you and all others finally bringing some light on this subject. About damn time we treated mental health as a normal aspect of all health.
10:25 PM - Feb 16, 2023
Angelique Yaich
A
I agree, it's hard to have had a serious illness and then have recovery be longer than you expect, that every light headed incident is a worry. Best wishes to Senator John Fetterman for a healthy future.
07:07 PM - Feb 16, 2023
Alex Fiano
A
Thank you for your representation for the Bronx (in LGBTQ+ and mental health care) and sharing about your experience. Mental health care should always be something we talk about and have resources to help our community feel supported. From a Queer person with PTSD.
05:24 PM - Feb 16, 2023
Sitara 68
A
25 years ago I was almost hospitalized for clinical depression. My psychiatrist allowed me to stay home with my child, bc the therapist with family services on the naval base where we were stationed had agreed to meet with me daily for 2 hours a day. I swear Prozac and that therapist saved my life.
05:08 PM - Feb 16, 2023
Sitara 68
A
In response to Sitara 68.
I am so glad Senator Fetterman is in a safe place where he can get that kind of assistance. I know how I felt at that moment before I got the help I needed and I do not wish it on my worst enemy.
05:09 PM - Feb 16, 2023
Nancy Broner
A
Thank you for sharing. And depression is not uncommon post stroke. Have not figured out how to embed but see link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.g...
04:50 PM - Feb 16, 2023
Cynthia, Just Cynthia
A
In response to Nancy Broner.
That was my first thought.
Big, scary, surprise health events often lead to depression.
05:53 PM - Feb 16, 2023

Only followers of this user (JuneAndDecember) can see their posts

Corey Strouse
A
Thank you for sharing this. As a citizen of the great state of Pennsylvania, I truly appreciate all of the support for Senator Fetterman! ❤
#depression #anxiety #NoStigma #Mental health #gethelp #SenJohnFetterman #ProudofMySenator
04:45 PM - Feb 16, 2023
John Mulloy
A
Well said Torres!
04:39 PM - Feb 16, 2023
MsFahrenheit
A
Thank you so much for having his back. We have yours as well. Whomever is stigmatizing depression now should be shamed, and i say that because I'm angry and frustrated with the response; I don't even believe in shame. 🤦🏼‍♀️😡
04:35 PM - Feb 16, 2023
Bren
A
We need to remove the stigma!!!
04:34 PM - Feb 16, 2023
CookieVB
A
Also grateful for his wife . It takes a strong support system and true love 💗
04:31 PM - Feb 16, 2023
Suzanne JaaaNONYA
A
YEP.

I’ve dealt with #anxiety since I was ~10. If I get too triggered, I faint. My brain nopes out & reboots.

I’ve also dealt with #depression for almost as long. Some #PTSD type stuff & some good ol fashioned depression 👍

#GETTHERAPY y’all. It works.

https://spoutible.com/thre...
04:26 PM - Feb 16, 2023
Nicole
A
Thank you for sharing this. Depression and anxiety can be debilitating at times.

People don’t understand that you can’t just try to be in a good mood. It doesn’t work that way.

Mental health is so stigmatized and misunderstood.

My heart truly goes out to him and his family.
04:06 PM - Feb 16, 2023
Carol Norris
A
I'm a psychotherapist. We must remove the stigma to mental health challenges. I bet you learned a lot about yourself which makes you a better leader today.

#SenJohnFetterman #depression #ItTakesCourageToGetHelp
04:02 PM - Feb 16, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}