Spaceghost With The 435
A
Alright now that posting works lets do it. Branden Jacobs-Jenkins: an American playwright whose first play was published in 2010. I've had the good fortune of seeing productions of all 4 of his plays that have clickable links on Wikipedia so imma go in order from my favorite to least favorite:
12:25 PM - Feb 03, 2023
Spaceghost With The 435
A
In response to Spaceghost With The 435.
an octaroon: if I could time travel back to a single performance in my life it would be this one. Saw this at a black box production: the lights went out, Kendrick's DNA started playing (it was Fall 2017), and the actors begin dumping bags of cotton balls on the unadorned stage. Electric.
12:29 PM - Feb 03, 2023
Spaceghost With The 435
A
an octaroon is essentially an adaption of a 1860s slavery apologia play 'the octaroon' and from that rusted and grotesque wreckage Jacobs-Jenkins fashioned a truly sublime work on theater and race. Meta af. Hard hitting. A tear that will hang in my soul forever to borrow from Jeff Buckley.
12:41 PM - Feb 03, 2023
Spaceghost With The 435
A
appropriate: an american family tragedy a la Tennessee Williams. The dysfunction spins around the sin and avarice that lies at the core of our nation. The most haunting characters never take the stage and never say a line. I will never forget the deafening silence of that space beyond the stage.
12:51 PM - Feb 03, 2023
Spaceghost With The 435
A
everybody: an adaptation of a 15th century monk play. wish I had seen this one multiple times as the actors pick roles by lottery each night. a meditation on death and life that left me with a feeling of unresolved pathos. dark. uneasy. definitely clever but not as seared into my mind as the other 3
01:19 PM - Feb 03, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}