Jax Persists
A
I don’t understand parents who turn their backs on their children if they’re LGBTQ. A couple years ago, my daughter came out as bi. It changed nothing for me. I love my kids unconditionally. My only hope is that they are all happy, and that whoever they choose to love loves them as much as I do.
12:24 PM - Feb 18, 2023 (Edited)
eanybean
A
In response to Jax Persists.
Same
08:52 PM - Oct 31, 2023
Jacqueline Wallace
A
Amen 🙏🏾
11:09 PM - Oct 26, 2023
Jeff Russell
A
What a great person you are. Children are lucky to have parents like you who love and support them.❤️
10:08 AM - Oct 09, 2023
Pa Dad
A
It would be impossible to turn my back on my children. A parent's love is and always should be unconditional.
08:11 PM - Sep 16, 2023
Andrew Senior
A
I don't understand how people can't understand that your sexuality is no more a choice than the colour of your eyes. You are what you are, and you didn't choose to be that way.
11:01 AM - Aug 10, 2023
Jean Wiley
A
YES! Exactly what you said.
08:47 PM - Aug 09, 2023
Trauma Epidemic
A
We don't understand for lack of experience--with dysfunctional family systems. Fortunately, we can learn by reading. I'm midway through Stephanie Foo's What My Bones Know right now. Arlie Russell Hochschild's Strangers In Their Own Land is also informative (re: 'honor culture').
#CPTSD
05:23 PM - Feb 18, 2023
Trauma Epidemic
A
In response to Trauma Epidemic.
Of course, "understand" ≠ condone.
05:33 PM - Feb 18, 2023
Anja Miller
A
Ditto. You live your kids for who they are not who you’d like them to be.
05:02 PM - Feb 18, 2023
Eve Mahoney
A
I don't understand that either. How can it possibly matter to a parent? I have two wonderful adult children. I do not care about their sex lives except to hope they are happy, as I hope for every aspect of their lives.
05:01 PM - Feb 18, 2023
Susan Brown
A
My son is gay. We would never have turned our backs on him. We love him too much. It’s so sad to hear about those who lose their family just because of who they love. Check out free mom hugs. https://freemomhugs.org/
04:53 PM - Feb 18, 2023 (Edited)
Casey Wagner
A
As a teen I used to bring home other stray teens all the time. One's mother called our house and told my mother to throw him back out on the street so he could "learn his lesson".
She told that mother that she would not leave a kid at risk when she could do something to help them.
Proud kid moment
02:12 PM - Feb 18, 2023
Casey Wagner
A
In response to Casey Wagner.
(and then she rattled off expletives at the other mother for still being demanding and unreasonable and hung up on her)
another proud moment 😍
02:13 PM - Feb 18, 2023
Clockwork Banana
A
I think a lot has to do with religion and their ideas of moralitty, sin, and the afterlife. My mormon mother lost her shit when I came out as bi at the age of 14.

Now she's an ex-mormon and the idea doesn't phaze her one bit. :)
01:31 PM - Feb 18, 2023
Just Frank
A
I was very fortunate. I told my mom I was gay at 16, and she replied, "Honey, I've known that since you were 3 years old." Mom used to borrow Playgirls from underneath my bed. We were soulmates, and she was the love of my life. The pic is mom at 83, no hair dye.
01:13 PM - Feb 18, 2023
Lisa Thibodeaux
A
Totally agree! How could anyone deny their child especially for being who they are. It breaks my heart whenever I hear of a parent doing that to a child.
12:37 PM - Feb 18, 2023
LH Grant
A
Yes. And thank you for your service.
12:32 PM - Feb 18, 2023
Bun the Franky
A
100% all of this. In the past five years, my 3 kids have come out to me as bi, non-binary, and trans, and it literally changes nothing for me aside from remembering to catch myself when I use the wrong name or pronoun. I love them unconditionally.
12:27 PM - Feb 18, 2023
Mustang Sally
A
Unlike you who is accepting they are wilfully ignorant.
12:26 PM - Feb 18, 2023
Jax Persists
A
In response to Mustang Sally.
To me, there’s nothing to accept. I get the reason people say “accept people for who they are,” but to me, that’s still implying that I accept them even though I think what they’re doing is wrong. That’s just not true for me. She is being her true self, and there is nothing wrong with that.
12:35 PM - Feb 18, 2023
EPinCO
A
Every word of this!
12:25 PM - Feb 18, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}