Kerry Share
A
Alright, I'm going to say it. I'm really disappointed with the way things have shaken out here over the last few days re: the explicit content kerfuffle.

I have been here since the beginning, and while I was one of those who voted to allow sexually explicit content, I accepted that I was (1/x)
05:59 PM - Feb 21, 2023
Kerry Share
A
In response to Kerry Share.
outnumbered. I saw the results of the poll. I am not here to argue that sexually explicit content was overwhelmingly voted against. Nor am I a sex worker or someone who engages in sexually explicit content.

However, the reaction of the Spoutible user base to Courtney Milan’s Spout pointing out
05:59 PM - Feb 21, 2023
Kerry Share
A
the vagueness of the TOS re: sexually explicit content has been extremely disappointing to say the least. I have seen on this very website we all have proclaimed to be inclusive and peaceful flagrant misogyny and racism about a member of our #WritingCommunity who saw a flaw that might be (3/x)
06:00 PM - Feb 21, 2023
Kerry Share
A
could be exploited by bad faith actors to hurt said community, and offered her expertise in rectifying it. While I do not fault Mr. Bouzy for rejecting that expertise, nor even bristling at the perceived insult, this episode was a stark reminder that all public figures, himself not excepted, have
Kerry Share
A
their blind spots. Worse, they have their sycophants, and it was they who fell on Courtney as well as other members of the #WritingCommunity with a viciousness I did not expect from what has otherwise (and what proudly touts itself to be) been a welcoming community. Mr. Bouzy undoubtedly (5/x)
Kerry Share
A
exacerbated that mob mentality by suggesting that those expressing concern were part of a coordinated attack against the site and its founder. Courtney’s Spoutible page is still up. You can easily read for yourself that she was broadly complimentary of the site, and her critiques of the TOS (6/x)
Kerry Share
A
were offered in good faith. That she should AGAIN be driven from a place where she sought inclusion and baselessly accused of racism is something that every user should abhor.

Courtney’s involvement aside, after doing my best to consider both sides of the argument, I concur that the TOS is
06:01 PM - Feb 21, 2023
Kerry Share
A
vague regarding explicit content. It is not difficult to imagine a situation wherein an author or their readers engage in discussion regarding explicit content in a book, only to find their spouts reported as violating the policy. While Mr. Bouzy has assured us that such content will not be (8/x)
Kerry Share
A
prohibited, I find it difficult to believe he will be personally moderating each Spout with potentially explicit content. Without clear language regarding what will or will not violate the TOS, his moderators will no doubt find themselves in difficult positions to interpret the rule (9/x)
Kerry Share
A
individually. IMHO, it is not a matter of if such a scenario happens, but when. If this site continues to grow in the way he (and many of Spoutible’s users) hope, it is a certainty. I see no reason why such an important topic must be kicked as a can down the road as a problem for the future. (10/x)
Kerry Share
A
I certainly do not see why those raising such concerns are maligned as racists, part of a paid or otherwise coordinated attack, or “Karens.”

I add my voice to those urging that explicit language be added to the TOS clarifying what will and will not be allowed. (11/11)
06:02 PM - Feb 21, 2023
Bill Blume
A
I like how you’ve summed it up. I lost a lot of respect for cbouzy because of all that. I felt he whipped up a mob to answer. I agree he had every right stand his ground, but I’m concerned he jumped to bullying tactics as a response. I unfollowed his account out of disgust.
06:10 PM - Feb 21, 2023
Kerry Share
A
In response to Bill Blume.
I have no doubt that some bad actors used Courtney's observations as a springboard for their own disingenuous arguments, but distilling her (and other's) concerns down to "must be bots and racists" was really disappointing. I hope both sides can come together in mutual understanding.
08:39 PM - Feb 21, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}