David Berger
A
As a Florida teacher, I fear for my students current & future. Teaching has been my passion for my whole career (30 years). The Republicans here are slowly dismantling public education, from book bans to altered history/civics to anti-LGBTQ policies.

I am asking for support. Please echo this.
08:22 PM - Feb 21, 2023
Ashley H
A
In response to David Berger.
So many states are following this. Good guys don't ban books.
05:06 PM - Aug 31, 2023
Pam Sourelis
A
How does echoing this provide support? Teachers need to stand the hell up and refuse to comply with fascism.
08:11 AM - Mar 13, 2023
Barbra C #DemCast
A
"When you teach a man to hate and fear his brother, when you teach that he is a lesser man because of his color or his beliefs... those who differ from you threaten your freedom... then you also learn to confront others not as fellow citizens but as enemies.
Robert F. Kennedy
#TeachTheTruth
07:45 PM - Mar 07, 2023
CPfromCA
A
Republicans don't want an educated populas with critical thinking ability. Because such people wouldn't vote for Repubicans.

You are fighting the good fight.
07:28 PM - Mar 07, 2023
Stephen Rauchle
A
Just so we're on the same page - the history taught in school has never been accurate. Now we obviate that and they (those who wish to hide the truth) just show who they are. If the majority are not liars, this will soon end - by them running for school boards and representation in their states.
06:05 AM - Mar 07, 2023
Xolani Mvulana
B
When you know that your ideas are terrible and you know you will never be able to persuade people through debate and data, your only other option is authoritarianism.
05:49 AM - Mar 07, 2023
DANIEL Mac
A
They're kicking us back to when I was in school - in the 70's and 80's. There was none of this. In the 70's when I came out it was all very "Keep it to yourself". Gay bars were anonymous and entered off back alleys. You lost your viriginity in the dirty movie theatre. They want it all back.
05:40 AM - Mar 07, 2023
S C
A
It doesn’t seem slow to me.
11:28 PM - Mar 06, 2023
Yvette
A
I feel so sorry for the GOOD Teachers in Florida. I don’t know how you can stand it!
05:30 PM - Mar 05, 2023
Jackiejfrancois
B
Definetely. This is way overdue.
04:12 PM - Feb 26, 2023
Clarke
A
Have you or anyone else raised a fuss with the FBI about the HIPAA violations with those college student medical records? That carries stiff penalties and it's a Federal law. Multiple violations too.
09:49 PM - Feb 25, 2023
David Berger
A
In response to Clarke.
I know some people have mentioned it to them, but I teach high school, so it's not an area I have a lot of experience in unfortunately.
09:50 PM - Feb 25, 2023
Josephine Parle
A
As a former teacher who left after being retaliated against by Admin for standing up for LGBTQ rights, please know I am standing with you. We see you. I have my power to voice my experience now that I am out of that threatening environment and I am constantly telling people about what is happening.
08:25 PM - Feb 25, 2023
Tracy Gaulton
A
It's been a part of the Repub plan for decades - and FL is not the only state in danger. I hope people in FL start to understand what's happening and put a stop to it before it's too late for all of us. A stupid nation can not be a great nation.
05:35 PM - Feb 25, 2023
Yogi Thomas
B
The Florida parents, kids and teachers should organize a mass walk out for at least one week! The Wealthy RW and their Government puppets only fear when the mass population displays unity taking labor and money out of their pockets which may lead revolution.
05:12 PM - Feb 25, 2023 (Edited)
MIchael Walls
A
Much respect. Though I do wonder: At what point will teachers say "enough is enough" and actually stand up for their profession by staging a nationwide walkout/strike? Because if they don't, the Desantis model WILL go nationwide. I feel that many undervalue what they do for children.
04:10 PM - Feb 25, 2023
Josephine Parle
A
In response to MIchael Walls.
We already have. There is a HUGE shortage & teachers are fleeing heavily. I used to teach Gov’t to 12th graders in a heavy Trump district. It was horrible and impossible. Students didn’t believe facts. I am in a new career that is attractive to teachers. I get contacted all the time for help.
08:23 PM - Feb 25, 2023
Yvette
A
In response to MIchael Walls.
I can’t picture Teacher’s Unions allowing this to happen in New York. Our Unions are much stronger here than in Florida. I have friends and family who are teachers. They’re shocked by what Florida educators are going through. My Dad (now deceased) moved to Fla. in 1988. I’m glad I didn’t move!
05:34 PM - Mar 05, 2023
AmericanadianTO
A
As an overseas voter, I legally changed my residence last month from CA to FL so that in '24 I can vote against what's happening in Florida.
04:54 PM - Feb 24, 2023
dani
A
Hi David, I’m a Canadian so I probably can’t offer much in terms of political action. Otherwise is there anything I can do to help?
10:46 PM - Feb 23, 2023
David Berger
A
In response to dani.
Just being supportive helps! So, thank you very much!
11:06 PM - Feb 23, 2023
Steve Herzfeld
A
Republicans have been defunding public education for decades under the misleading slogan of School Choice.
Even the so-called moderates are really into this.
Everyone that knows a lot about School Vouchers understands how bad it is.
01:24 PM - Feb 23, 2023
David Berger
A
In response to Steve Herzfeld.
Exactly. I wish the Dems could DO something.
06:36 PM - Feb 23, 2023
Leesa Blue
A
I taught for 9 years (special ed) before going into administration. My heart just aches for teachers, these days. No win. I am so sorry to see good folks beaten down and run out of education. Our kids lose it all if this continues. I know we can and must do better!
03:00 PM - Feb 22, 2023
Tess
B
You are an educator who provides the tools for your students to engage in critical thinking.

Take.Your.State.Back.From.The.Quacks.

It will be a long and hard fight. It took Michigan citizens 40 years. And, even so, Michigan citizens everyday must remain ever-vigilant, as the quacks are lying
12:57 PM - Feb 22, 2023
Janet aka April
A
As a retired teacher, my heart breaks for you. I cannot imagine having to teach under these conditions. We all need to speak out . What are the unions doing?
08:40 AM - Feb 22, 2023
South Cackalacky Scholar
A
You’ve got it, Dave. Echoing…!
07:52 AM - Feb 22, 2023
David Berger
A
In response to South Cackalacky Scholar.
Thank you so much!
08:19 AM - Feb 22, 2023
GenXHippie
A
I retired early because I just couldn't take the BS from administration and parents. I envy and applaud your commitment! Thank you!
07:08 AM - Feb 22, 2023
Karik61
A
I'm so sorry. I really do not understand how they can get away with it. I wish Biden would step in.
07:01 AM - Feb 22, 2023
David Berger
A
In response to Karik61.
But, what can he do?
07:45 AM - Feb 22, 2023
tedi
A
In response to Karik61.
That’s what I’m saying.
08:31 AM - Feb 22, 2023
Maggie Ray
A
As a Floridian in exile, thank you for your service.
06:33 AM - Feb 22, 2023
Trust Facts
A
I'm a retired teacher from another red state and my heart goes out to all who are trying to teach the whole truth.
11:14 PM - Feb 21, 2023
Pamela
A
I was in NYC yesterday listening to the radio. DeSantis was in town rallying in Staten Island (home to a lot of law enforcement). He referred to SI as Florida North. I was reminded that folks in SI once wanted to secede from the rest of NYC.
FWIW, the mayor slammed DeSantis in a “Welcome” tweet
10:46 PM - Feb 21, 2023
Jack Fryar
A
Not as bad yet, but N.C. is right behind you.
10:09 PM - Feb 21, 2023
Don Eckert
A
Same, but we will not tolerate that. We will stand firmly against the white supremacist education agenda.
09:12 PM - Feb 21, 2023
Emily Sugarloaf
A
Absolutely. We want to support you in whatever ways you think would be most effective. I, & I believe others, would love to hear from more teachers there about what their needs & ideas are. I think Spoutible is a good vehicle to do that, as there are no crazies to deal w.
09:11 PM - Feb 21, 2023
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}