Democracy For All
A
💙Democracy's💙 FIVE GOOD TO KNOWS:
1. Know your districts. Every single one.
2. Know who represents you (& who doesn't!)
3. Vote in every single election (& EVERY year has one. This year is muni & school boards. ALSO, PRIMARIES are critical!)
4. Vote your WHOLE ballot.
5. Never not vote again.
01:49 PM - Feb 22, 2023
JM Cressy
A
In response to Democracy For All.
That's absolutely all essential. But the organizing needs to be constant even between voting years. Democracy isn't just voting. It's supporting institutions and orgs that keep people engaged and informed. One problem is ppl think once they've won at the polls, the work is done. It's never done.
04:54 AM - Oct 29, 2023
Democracy For All
A
In response to JM Cressy.
AGREED. And you're speaking my "vote nerd" language! I have a whole thing about "every month leads to your ballot", because it's true! After designing my county democratic party's voter guide for the last eleven elections, I'm thinking about it constantly anyway. And now that you've got me started:
12:41 AM - Nov 01, 2023 (Edited)
Democracy For All
A
In response to JM Cressy.
But that same year (2008) where, as a volunteer, I reconciled ballots for the Clerk, I saw TONS of ballots with a mark next to Obama's name, but the REST OF THE BALLOT WAS BLANK. Also back then, turnout for midterms was ABYSMAL: on average, 32-36% And sure enough, in 2010, we lost the US House...
12:58 AM - Nov 01, 2023
Hercule Poirot
A
The only way to wipe the stain of the MAGAT Republicans that have poisoned America is to ORGANIZE, VOTE DEMOCRATIC, GET OTHERS TO VOTE DEMOCRATIC, WORK PHONE BANKS, GO DOOR-TO-DO0R, INTERACT WITH LOCAL REPRESENTATIVES, MAKE YOUR FEELING KNOWN, DEMONSTRATE, GET LOUD, MAKE GOOD TROUBLE.
02:58 PM - Oct 04, 2023
Deanna (@LadyDi) of Love Wins Movement
A
This spout was removed because the account associated with it was suspended.
11:24 AM - Aug 07, 2023
Democracy For All
A
In response to Deanna (@LadyDi) of Love Wins Movement.
AW THANKS! (Precinct Leader & Area Coordinator here, kinda in my very blue blood!) Happily following you now! 💙
11:31 AM - Aug 07, 2023
Anastasia Joy
A
Part of the goal with extreme gerrymandering is to confuse people about who represents them. It even happened to me, someone who can name half the state legislature. They gerrymandered the state school board & when I went to vote, all the names were unfamiliar. I had to look up who to vote for.
10:51 AM - Jul 20, 2023
Amy Wolf
A
Notes to Dem reps: when your constituents call and or email you, have someone answer.
Pramila Jayapal.
Entire Seattle City Council, none of whom answer ever a single communication.
03:55 AM - Apr 14, 2023
Democracy For All
A
In response to Amy Wolf.
I would offer that if you can find out the name of your MOCs legislative aide, that's usually a good way to get a message to them. Also, check to see when both of your US Senators & your US Rep is in town and hopefully schedules a town hall (& if they don't have town halls, raise a stink!)
05:11 AM - Apr 14, 2023
Democracy For All
A
In response to Amy Wolf.
Also, not all political questions are only answered by US rep or Senators...check in with your state legislators (your state senator & your state rep) — who also have legislative aides. Maybe they can address the issue you are concerned with on the state or even county level.
05:13 AM - Apr 14, 2023
Living The Dream
B
Excellent Spout!!!!
02:05 PM - Feb 22, 2023
Jim Calkins
A
In many places, the primary election + the general election. Then there is the question of whether you switch parties for the primary to make your vote “count,” or do you stick with the party that has no chance in the general, so you can vote your heart?
02:01 PM - Feb 22, 2023
Democracy For All
A
In response to Jim Calkins.
Neither. Turnout is still too low for primaries, inconsistent for midterms, & down ballot drop off continues to be a significant issue. So, I think the best path is encouraging others to vote. And who you vote for should be who you want, especially if you've researched everyone who's running.
10:28 PM - Feb 22, 2023
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}