Cynthia Williams
A
I appreciate the concern spouters are having that the platform might die if more VIPs (aren't we all VIPs?) don't start using #Spoutible on a more regular basis.

This thread is my trip down Twitter/X memory lane as it pertains to Twitter 1.0's growth. I hope this helps ppl not panic just yet.

This spout was deleted.

08:15 AM - Sep 03, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
In response to Cynthia Williams.
I was one of the 1st Black users on Twitter when I originally joined in 2007. I was looking for somewhere new to hang out online. Facebook was becoming hugely popular but filled with high school "friends" who suddenly wanted to reconnect and pass notes of gossip to each other. Yuck!
08:22 AM - Sep 03, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
Twitter 1.0 in 2007 was like boarding a cruise ship full of geeky ppl, mostly white males in tech. When I joined Twitter, there were no ✔️. No trending hashtags. No accounts w/100K followers. No videos. No Spaces. Nothing but messages between users. No Black users.

I was a Twitter unicorn.
08:30 AM - Sep 03, 2023
Cynthia Williams
A
I was ignored on Twitter 1.0 when I joined in 2007. I happily welcomed new white males joining the site.

Me: Hi, welcome to Twitter!
Them: Thanks.

Me: What are you doing today?
Thm:: *silence*

Me: What kind of tech are you involved in?
Then: *silence*

Twitter 1.0 was rough for me.
08:36 AM - Sep 03, 2023 (Edited)
Cynthia Williams
A
Then one day, I tweeted "Hi!" to a person named Jack Dorsey who kept popping up on my recommended follows list. And...

Jack responded.

Me: Hi! I'm new to Twitter. What about you?
Dorsey: Hey. Glad you're here.

This simple acknowledgement from Dorsey got me my first 50 followers on the site.
08:43 AM - Sep 03, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}