Acey Deecey 🚀🚀
A
thread 1/10
While in the kitchen cooking, a childhood memory unlocked. Bear with me, we have 300 characters and I wanna tell this right.

When I was about 9 years old my best friend was our neighbor, Martina Burroughs. We were at 41, the neighbors fron hell were 39, and the Burroughs were 37.
08:17 PM - Sep 03, 2023
Acey Deecey 🚀🚀
A
thread 2/10
It was the older brother Donald, who was sweating my older sister, Martina was a year younger than me, and little brothers Michael and Gregory. Gregory was real young, maybe 3. Their mother died and she was the first mom I knew who passed away. Our fathers didn't get along because men are dumb.
08:19 PM - Sep 03, 2023
Acey Deecey 🚀🚀
A
thread 3/10
Our mothers refused that and allowed us to he friends. Martina could play in my house. I couldn't play in hers but that's b/c her dad was former military, they never played in the house.

Anyway, summertime in the hood was the most magical time of the year. There was complete freedom for us kids.
08:20 PM - Sep 03, 2023
Acey Deecey 🚀🚀
A
thread 4/10
If you remember this, shout out...
When things were happening like movie premieres on TV, Eagles and Vowboys games, the Grammys, big stuff, some folks would pull the TV out on the porch and have folks over to watch and chill.
You just pull the orange cord out the front window and plug the TV in.
08:24 PM - Sep 03, 2023
Acey Deecey 🚀🚀
A
thread 5/10
Most didn't have cable or AC in the hose yet so no one's mama was yelling about letting her air out. Anyway, one night Donald pulled the TV out. A rinky-dink 20" black and white with the turn knows. Way before the flat screen day, it had a big ass back and was heavy.
08:30 PM - Sep 03, 2023
Acey Deecey 🚀🚀
A
thread 6/10
In the summer, every night at 8, Channel 17 would play a movie. They played all kinds, it's how I saw Whatevr Hapoened to Baby Jane, The African Queen, The Conversation, Some Like it Hot. Tonight they were playing The Thing. About 8 kids between the ages of 8 and 12 crowded around the set.
08:33 PM - Sep 03, 2023
Acey Deecey 🚀🚀
A
thread 7/10
I remember my mom poked her head out and asked, "Tiesa, where are you?" I said right here. She said I could stay outside until she went upstairs but couldn't leave the porch. You couldn't have dragged me away from the set. Luckily it was a bkack and white set so we didn't see all the blood.
08:34 PM - Sep 03, 2023
Acey Deecey 🚀🚀
A
thread 8/10
We saw the carnage though, and we screamed, laughed, covered our eyes, scared each other, from opening to closing credits. As it was ending my mom called me in. We kids were free as birds but she had work in the morning and I was still young enough to have a bedtime.

I'm terrified of scary movies.
08:37 PM - Sep 03, 2023
Acey Deecey 🚀🚀
A
thread 9/10
When I was 7 I begged my dad to let me watch the original Nightmare on Elm Street with the big kids. He said ok. I don't know if he was teaching me a lesson or was just a dumb dad, but the film scarred me for life. There are maybe a handful of new horror movies I've seen since. It's a visceral fear.
08:39 PM - Sep 03, 2023
Acey Deecey 🚀🚀
A
thread 10/10
But the ones that came out before Nightmare, like The Thing, Halloween, Alien, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, classics like Frankenstein, and the Hammer films of the 60s, scary movies I watched with my dad, they still scare me but it connects to a great memory of TVs on the porch during summer.
08:46 PM - Sep 03, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}