Black Music Project
A
thread 1/4
The 16th St. Baptist Church bombing (9.15.1963) in Birmingham, AL, occurred just a few months after the assassination of Medgar Evers. We must never forget Addie Mae Collins, Cynthia Wesley, Carole Robertson, and Carol Denise McNair. #16thSt #NeverForget #4LittleGirls #medgarevers
01:44 PM - Sep 15, 2023
Black Music Project
A
thread 2/4
After hearing about the bombing, Nina Simone said: "At first, I tried to make myself a gun. I was going to take one of them out, and I didn't care who it was...Then Andy, my husband at the time, said to me, 'Nina, you can't kill anyone. You are a musician. Do what you do.'" #NinaSimone #wokesongs
01:46 PM - Sep 15, 2023
Black Music Project
A
thread 3/4
Nina's response to the 16th St. Baptist Church bombing that killed four little Black girls in Birmingham, Alabama, and the June 12, 1963 assassination of Civil Rights leader Medgar Evers: "Mississippi Goddam." #NinaSimone #16thSt #NeverForget #4LittleGirls #MedgarEvers #wokesongs
Nina Simone: Mississippi Goddam - YouTube

"Mississippi Goddam" by Nina SimoneRecording session: Live in Antibes, July 24-25, 1965.The sixth Antibes Juan-les-Pins Jazz Festival took place from July 24...

01:50 PM - Sep 15, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}