Sabine
A
thread 1/6
Today´s adventure
A contractor I had not worked with before had asked for an on-site date to evaluate the situation. We had agreed time and place beforehand. Who didn´t show? The contractor. He didn´t answer his mobile. But as the place was really nice I decided not to get grumpy.
02:54 PM - Sep 15, 2023 (Edited)
Sabine
A
thread 2/6
I explored the place – which was not exactly back country (there is no real back country in Germany), but remote enough. Finally – after half an hour – he arrived and apologized profusely (he had put his mobile accidentaly on silent mode). Don´t you worry, I said, I enjoyed myself in the meantime.
02:54 PM - Sep 15, 2023
Sabine
A
thread 3/6
We took our time to go through the details, but his German was not that good. I explained some steps oft he procedure several times to make sure he understood. I encouraged him to ask in case he didn´t get it. It took more than twice the time I had thought it would beforehand.
02:55 PM - Sep 15, 2023
Sabine
A
thread 4/6
In the end he drove away happily and I got in my car, too. Weekend finally! But it didn´t start. IT DIDN´T START. In the middle of nowhere. Hastily I dialled his number which he answered this time: I am stuck with a broken car, I said, could you please turn around? Which he did.
02:55 PM - Sep 15, 2023
Sabine
A
thread 5/6
He did not just pick me up and drop me at the next bus station, he insisted on driving me home. As he will be working on the site tomorrow, he even volunteered to pick me up in the morning and bring a jumper cable to get that sh*t car started (we both guessed it´s the battery).
02:56 PM - Sep 15, 2023
Sabine
A
thread 6/6
I didn´t have to walk to the next bus stop today (an idea the more daunting because of my bad hip). If I´m lucky I will be able to DRIVE the car to the next garage tomorrow. Please keep your fingers crossed! The world is not as dark as we think sometimes.

- end -
02:56 PM - Sep 15, 2023
Li Milla4
A
In response to Sabine.
Now I just have to know... What type of sites are you evaluating in remote areas of Germany? Intriguing. 🙂💙
03:01 PM - Sep 15, 2023
Sabine
A
In response to Li Milla4.
I am trained as a landscape architect & landscape planner and at times serve as a construction supervisor. In today´s case a recently built flood dike had to be given a special treatment.
03:12 PM - Sep 15, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}