BurgerFanMan
A
Charlie Munger, of Berkshire Hathaway fame, opines that needless completely arbitrary (read unnecessary) surgical procedures performed on the immobile & essentially all but completely brain-dead geriatrics in hospitals & nursing homes are immoral. And it happens all day, every day, for $, lots of $.
01:14 PM - Sep 21, 2023
Bob
A
In response to BurgerFanMan.
1/2 There is some truth to this. I watched my mother make a decision to avoid heart surgery that would have at best given her another 6 months of a low quality life.

But pay attention to who somebody like Munger wants the deciders to be. If it's an elderly disposal scheme, that's immoral.
01:28 PM - Sep 21, 2023
Bob
A
2/2 I would like to see more support services and education to prepare people for end-of-life care decisions. It is always the temptation to want to buy more time for a loved one, but that time may be so painful or low quality that loved one wouldn't want it. One needs to think about quality of life
In response to Bob.
01:31 PM - Sep 21, 2023
Bob
A
In response to Bob.
Addendum: In case this helps somebody...

My mom passed in 2015. In 2021 I had open heart surgery. One of the first things I did after coming out is call my sister and let her know how rough it was and how awful it would have been for mom and she probably made the right call to avoid it.
01:50 PM - Sep 21, 2023