Denise Oliver-Velez
A
Black Music Sunday: Let's talk about 'articulate' and the caucacity of Jann Wenner
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/9/24/2193651/-Black-Music-Sunday-Let-s-talk-about-articulate-a...
09:24 AM - Sep 24, 2023
Mlb Anx
A
In response to Denise Oliver-Velez.
Great article.
10:57 AM - Oct 04, 2023
Denise Oliver-Velez
A
In response to Mlb Anx.
Thank you.
08:18 AM - Oct 05, 2023
Thee NW F#@&ing Magpie
A
This was an awesome read, Ms. Denise, and one that spoke to my heart. Jann Wenner can forget the seats, and just show himself out.
06:38 PM - Sep 25, 2023 (Edited)
Kennie Goff
A
#sisterrosettatharp From my home state of Arkansas (AR) one of my Sheroes and The Godmother of Rock N Roll
04:01 PM - Sep 25, 2023
Debbie Lu
A
Thank you for this! I am a new fan. Caucasity and articlulate the way they are used = racist and mysogynist - you covered and connected them all. Music is meant to speak to and move you - a very personal experience. I so love the history lesson in the story! .Looking forward to more.
03:46 PM - Sep 25, 2023
Bernard S
A
And of course the obvious point was made that The Rolling Stones wouldn't have existed if not for the inspiration of black artists. They took it somewhere else but black artists laid the foundation for what they started out as and what they became.
02:06 PM - Sep 25, 2023
Bernard S
A
I find it really strange that someone who helped found a magazine franchise is so tone deaf and unaware of his own obviously racial bias. And when did Bruce Springsteen or Bob Dylan become articulate? I can't understand a fucking thing either one of them says. I like lots of their music but...
02:04 PM - Sep 25, 2023
Kymberlyn Reed
A
As a lifelong Black rock chick, this article was EVERYTHING!!! Thank you!!!
02:03 PM - Sep 25, 2023
Seth Triggs
A
That was so powerful to read. Thank you for writing it Ms. Denise.
01:28 PM - Sep 25, 2023
Pamela
A
I enjoyed your article. It made me feel a gamut of emotions. I too cringe at “articulate.” (He must’ve mean something else - because Bob Dylan). I agree with Reid’s “He could have just called it Conversations With Friends.” But now we know what Jann’s thinks. And Caucacity is my new word of the day.
10:32 AM - Sep 25, 2023
William Turner
A
This spout was removed because the account associated with it was suspended.
06:35 AM - Sep 25, 2023
Thomas Dukes
A
Thank you for a great Daily Kos article. It is infuriating that racism and sexism remain so entrenched in the music industry. Yes, indeed, Sister Rosetta Tharpe is a creative giant who deserves a thousand times more recognition. Brava!
06:00 AM - Sep 25, 2023
Denise R
A
As usual Ms Oliver-Velez, an excellent article and education! I bookmarked the Daily Kos article, so I can go back and enjoy again & again. Thank you.
11:46 AM - Sep 24, 2023
Denise Oliver-Velez
A
In response to Denise R.
Thank you.
01:30 AM - Sep 25, 2023
Marcella Garcia
A
A few years ago, while searching for music on YouTube, I came across Sister Rosetta Tharpe and Big Mama Thornton. It was immediately obvious where Chuck Berry acquired his playing style and Elvis acquired Hound Dog. These two women deserve their flowers for being foundations of Rock.🌹🌹🌹
09:57 AM - Sep 24, 2023
Marcella Garcia
A
In response to Marcella Garcia.
p.s. screw Jann Wenner and his not even slightly subtle racism and sexism gate-keeping.
09:59 AM - Sep 24, 2023
stephanie roberts
A
Great comment from Vernon Reid "Jann’s need to assert “objective” primacy is the source of the brouhaha." yt supremacist hubris.
09:48 AM - Sep 24, 2023
Iz Here
A
"Caucasity" is the kind of white-washing euphemism that I bristle at. Let's call #JannWenner what he has revealed himself to be: a racist & a misogynist who disrespects those of cultures not his own. The entire world of Rock & Roll shd regard him w a resounding "fuck you & fuck off".
09:47 AM - Sep 24, 2023
Honey and pepper and roses en déshabillé
A
In response to Iz Here.
You... have badly misunderstood the term caucasity.

Also you have apparently utterly missed out on whom you are speaking to. DO BETTER, and amend your appalling manners.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denise_Oliver-Velez
06:32 PM - Sep 26, 2023
glinyx
A
In response to Iz Here.
You are being corrected because you presume you have the authority and the right to police other people's language.

That is an incorrect assumption.

It's something white people do a lot, we speak without checking our own white bias.

It's so cruel.
06:42 PM - Sep 26, 2023
Evolve Undefined
A
Thank you for this Ms. Denise.
09:35 AM - Sep 24, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}