Matthew Robinson
A
thread 1/59
With just a few days left until my EU trip begins, I'm kicking off a thread to walk through how I put this trip together on a budget with only about a month to plan. If you're interested in travel, stick around. If you're a fellow traveler, join in the convo with your tips!
12:34 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 2/59
Before I get started, I want to make clear this is NOT an exhaustive list, nor intended to be. My goal w/ this thread is to give folks who want to travel a place to start. Also, since the bulk of my travels have been in Europe, I’ll mostly focus there, but many of these tips apply to other locales.
12:35 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 3/59
There’s a lot that goes into planning an international trip, so I’m going to break this down into the following categories: Saving, paying, planning, tracking, flights, transportation, lodging, gear, food, activities, safety and documenting.
12:36 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 4/59
Saving 1: It’s not sexy, but saving is the first and very important step. Make a goal to reduce as much unnecessary spending as possible at home. Pack a lunch instead of going out. Skip drinks at restaurants. Pass on new clothes/shoes unless they are absolutely necessary.
12:38 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 5/59
For me, it helps to think about what I could do with that saved money while traveling if I don’t spend it on the thing I’m about to buy. New shoes now, or an extra night in a hotel in Amsterdam? A beer with dinner? How about drinking beer at a 500yr old pub in Dublin instead?
12:40 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 6/59
Paying 1: This one is almost as important as saving, because money goes a LOT further if you know how to pay. I highly recommend getting a travel credit card, as the points and perks will help pay for part of your trip, and you’ll rack up points toward your next trip while traveling.
12:46 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 7/59
Paying 2: Note - the perks are only worth it if you pay off the card 100% EVERY MONTH. Credit card rates are criminal, and they’re counting on you to not pay off the balance - that’s how they afford the perks. Don’t fall into the trap.
12:46 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 8/59
Paying 3: IMO, the best cards are “general” travel cards, rather than an airline or hotel specific card, which are too restrictive. Just be sure the card you choose has no foreign transaction fees, and check out their other travel perks, like lounge access, travel insurance, etc.
12:47 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 9/59
Paying 4: Use your travel card for as many purchases as possible at home (bills, gas, groceries, etc.) to rack up points, then immediately pay it off. I’ve researched and tried several cards, so let me know if you want recommendations based on your travel plans.
12:47 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 10/59
Planning 1: The first thing you need to do is decide what kind of trip you’re going to plan before you even start. Have you already decided on a destination, or are you just trying to travel in general? I’m going to break this into two paths: A: known destination: B: unknown destination.
12:49 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 11/59
Planning 2: Side note, at this phase you should also get your passport if you don’t already have one, or check the expiration on yours if you do. Passports can take several months, so get that process going ASAP.
12:50 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 12/59
Planning A1 - known destination: It’s much easier to get started if you know where you want to go, as there are TONS of travel sites and blogs that will give you great ideas on what to do/see at your destination. This is your new reading material on lunch breaks and late nights, so dive in!
12:52 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 13/59
Planning A2 - known destination: Take some time to think about what interests you - don’t just head straight for the tourist traps. Do you love art? Hiking? Food? Meeting locals? Use your interests to narrow your search terms, rather than just searching the most popular things at your destination.
12:53 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 14/59
Planning B1 - unknown destination: If you’re open to lots of locations, follow the same advice above, just without tying it to a location. If you’re coming up blank, think of some things you really want to see in person, e.g., the Eiffel Tower, then use that city as your main destination hub.
12:53 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 15/59
Planning B2 - unknown destination: Once you’ve established a hub, start searching what’s nearby. For example, Brussels is a short train ride from Paris, so your trip could include wine in France and beer in Belgium. Take note as you find things you want to do, then see how you can connect them.
12:54 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 16/59
Planning 3: Be sure to consider the weather when looking at destinations. Your experience in the Alps, for example, would be very different in July than in January. If you can, avoid the summer crowds, and be sure to watch out for holidays that could disrupt your plans.
12:55 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 17/59
Planning 4: No matter where you decide to go, take time to learn as much as you can about the culture and customs there. If you don’t speak the local language, start learning the basics on Duolingo or similar app.
12:56 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 18/59
Tracking 1: Before we get into expenses, let’s talk about tracking. It’s critical to keep track of your research, costs, details, etc., as your plan takes shape. It helps with planning, and serves as a reference when your travels begin. Two main tools I recommend: Google Sheets and Tripit.
01:02 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 19/59
Tracking 2: I’m a huge fan of spreadsheets (occupational hazard), as these allow you to organize plans with prices on each. G-Sheets has been my go-to. It's free, saves in the cloud for access from anywhere, and it simple to use.
01:04 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 20/59
Tracking 3: Just create sheet and list out what you plan to do each day. Add columns for price, details, links, dates. Don't worry about adding actual dates when you're getting started - start with "Day 1, Day 2, etc.," and you can add specific dates later. Hit me up if you need an example sheet.
01:05 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 21/59
Tracking 4: The other tool I recommend is Tripit. It’s a totally free app that automatically builds and stores your itinerary details (with confirmation numbers) by simply forwarding your confirmation emails (flights, hotels, etc.) to your Tripit account. It’s amazing.
01:05 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 22/59
Flights 1: There are all kinds of wild tips out there about using points to get discounts on 1st class tickets, but I’m not a 1st class traveler, so I’m not covering that here. These are just the basics to get you started on finding good deals to your destination.
01:10 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 23/59
Flights 2: If you know where you want to go, sign up for Airfarewatchdog. This site lets you sign up for travel alerts based on your home airport(s) and desired destinations. You’ll get weekly (this is adjustable) alerts on flight deals, which is immensely helpful when planning.
01:11 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 24/59
Flights 3: If you’re open to multiple destinations, use the map feature on Google Flights. Enter your home city, general dates, then scroll/zoom the map to look at prices to each city. Sometimes you’ll find a great deal that’s too good to pass up and end up in a city you hadn’t considered.
01:11 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 25/59
Flights 4: The other thing about using Google Flights is that you can find deals “near” where you’re trying to go. For example, I once planned to fly home from Amsterdam, but found a way better deal out of Brussels, which is just a short train ride away.
01:12 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 26/59
Transportation 1: This can really vary by destination, but for most of the EU, I recommend using their amazing public transportation system. That said, it’s not the best option in every case. Let’s talk about regional, urban, and rural transportation.
01:14 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 27/59
Transport 2 - Regional: If you’re mainly going to be in cities, a Eurail pass is HIGHLY recommended. It’s affordable, fast and SUPER convenient. You buy a pass before you go that's good for as many days as you plan to travel, then simply jump on (almost) any train to (almost) anywhere.
01:17 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 28/59
Transportation 3 - Regional: Once you jump on the train, just enter the trip in the app and you’re done. Want to get off in Trier for lunch? Do it! You can hop off and just take a later train with just a few clicks in the app.
01:20 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 29/59
Transportation 4: Note: There is some nuance to the Eurail, but it’s the gold standard if you’re hitting multiple cities in multiple countries. For single-country travel, check on regional alternatives that may give you a better value.
01:21 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 30/59
Transport 5 - Urban: Most major cities in Europe have phenomenal public transit, including trains, subways, buses, and boats that are easy to navigate with practice. If you’re staying someplace a while, look into multi-day passes. They're cheaper, and sometimes include other perks in the city.
01:26 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 31/59
Transport 6: In a pinch, cabs and ride-share services are also an option, but the need is rare. Just avoid renting a car if you’re mostly staying in the city. Most European cities were built hundreds of years before cars, so they’re usually not car friendly for foreigners.
01:27 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 32/59
Transport 7 - Rural: While you can usually reach smaller towns by train or bus, getting around once you get there can be tricky. In these cases, renting a car may be your best bet. Be sure to check the local laws to see if you need a specific license.
01:28 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 33/59
Transport 8 - Rural: Oh, and keep in mind that EU cars are predominantly manual transmission, which can be a real challenge if you’re going somewhere with opposite-lane driving. (Ask me about left-hand shifting in Scotland on single-lane, two-way roads!)
01:29 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 34/59
Transport 9: I could probably do a whole thread just on transportation, so let me know if you’d like me to cover this in more detail, or just reach out if you have specific questions. My main advice is to be open to trying new ways of getting around.
01:29 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 35/59
Lodging 1: This is where you decide (or discover) what kind of traveler you really are. Are you the kind of person who can stay in a dorm bunk bed at a hostel, or do you need high thread-count sheets and a walk-in shower? I’ll briefly cover the range of options.
01:33 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 36/59
Lodging 2 - Couch surfing: It’s not crazy, and this is actually an amazing way to travel! Couchsurfing.org lets you find local hosts that put you up for free, but it’s not just a place to crash - your host helps you find awesome local activities and you’ll build lasting friendships.
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 37/59
Lodging 3: These are a great, low-cost option, and have the added benefit of putting you in close quarters with other travelers who can share their knowledge with you. You may even find drinking buddies that get you into and out of trouble during your stay, as I found out in Switzerland. :D
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 38/59
Lodging 4: If you want a bit more privacy, hotels are a solid choice. Airbnb can also be a good option, but only if you’re staying more than 3 nights in one location, otherwise the cleaning fees make it costlier than a hotel. If you can find a hotel with breakfast, DO IT!
01:34 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 39/59
Lodging 5: Whatever option you choose, just be sure to consider the location! This is a matter of preference; do you prefer quiet, local cafes, or late-night bars? You’ll mainly be at you lodging in the evening, so research the nightlife in the neighborhoods you’re considering.
01:35 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 40/59
Lodging 6: Personally, I prefer to stay outside of the tourist zones, but on a main train or bus line that can get me where I plan to spend most of my time within 10-20 minutes. This gives you a better chance of hanging out with locals rather than jammed into a crowded bar of tourists.
01:35 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 41/59
Gear 1: Okay, let’s talk gear. And when I say gear, I’m talking about EVERYTHING that goes with you on your trip: suitcase, clothes, electronics, supplies, etc. I could really geek out here, but I’m just going to cover the main points. I’ll post my full packing list if you’re interested.
01:59 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 42/59
Gear 2: Unless you’re physically unable, use a backpack rather than a suitcase. It keeps your hands free and is easier to manage on stairs and cobblestone streets. Ideally, your carry-on bag should fit in (or attach to) your backpack when you’re on the go so you’re not juggling bags.
02:00 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 43/59
Gear 3: You know that “better to have it and not need it,” rule? Throw that out. IMO, it’s better to travel light and buy items at your destination IF the need arises. Plus, if your pack is full of “just in case” items when you leave, you won't have room to bring anything back!
02:01 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 44/59
Gear 4: Pack clothes that are light and low maintenance, and no more than 2 pairs of shoes. If you’re traveling more than 6 days, plan to do laundry rather than pack extra clothes. Think of it this way, doing laundry just one time on your trip lets you cut the number of clothes you need in half.
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 45/59
Gear 5: ALWAYS bring a rain jacket. Get compression packing cubes to maximize space. Pack a very basic first aid kit, minimal toiletries, large zip-lock bags (in case of wet clothes), eye mask, ear plugs, and (for hostels) a pillow case, sleep liner and travel towel.
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 46/59
Gear 6: For electronics, go as light as possible. Avoid laptops, tablets, cameras (your phone photos are just fine - promise), unless you REALLY need them. Bring the following: outlet adaptor, a backup battery, headlamp, headphones (noise canceling is a plus), and any relevant charging cords.
02:02 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 47/59
Food 1: If you’re on a tight budget, this is a good place to save some cash. I recommend a few splurge meals in each location to try the local dishes, as this is really part of the cultural experience of travel, but for your other meals, eat like a local, i.e, go to the grocery store.
02:04 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 48/59
Food 2: Personally, I love hitting local markets to buy bread, meat, cheese and beer, then finding a good spot for a picnic. This is another good way to meet locals. One of my favorite travel memories is chatting with an 80yr old hiker at an amazing overlook in the Swiss Alps over a picnic lunch.
02:05 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 49/59
Activities 1: This one is very personal, as it really depends on what YOU want out of your travel experience. My main advice is to not plan too much. Choose a few activities, but give yourself lots of time in each location to just be, and to take in the energy of the place and the people.
02:06 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 50/59
Activities 2: If there’s something you really want to do, be sure to book it early. For everything else, just mark it in your tracking document and book it after you arrive. It’s better to have flexibility and make plans as you go. You never know where the road will take you if you let it!
02:06 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 51/59
Safety 1: Research your destination to understand any specific safety concerns before you go. Keep your valuables secured, and try your best not to look like a tourist. Tip: If you need to look at a map, sit at a café table or somewhere out of the way rather than on a street corner.
02:09 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 52/59
Safety 2: Make sure you save ALL of your travel details digitally so you can access them from a computer in case your phone is lost/stolen; this should include a photo of your passport, tickets, bank info, etc. Keep a spare credit card and cash in your main backpack at the hotel.
02:10 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 53/59
Safety 3: Pay for international roaming on your phone, or get an international SIM. Have a designated contact at home and share all your booking info with them (use Tripit!). Get travel insurance (it’s cheaper than you think) that will cover emergencies and delays.
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 54/59
Safety 4: Learn a little of the local language. You’d be amazed what just a few months of practice can do. Last year I got myself out of several binds (including being lost and nearly ripped off by a cab driver) in areas where no one spoke English thanks to knowing some basic German.
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 55/59
Documenting 1: Okay, last category! The reason I’m including this is because you really should take some time to think about how you want to document your trip before you start. You don’t want to come home with no photos, but you also don’t want to spend your whole trip on your phone.
02:12 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 56/59
Documenting 2: Take it from someone who has over-planned how to document a trip; keep it simple. Your phone likely takes great photos, and it’s so freeing not having to pack extra equipment. Be in the moment, and just remember to snap some shots along the way.
02:13 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 57/59
Documenting 3: Use your social media or a map app to “check in” or save your location at places you like. Trust me, just because an experience is unforgettable, doesn’t mean you won’t forget the name of the place you’re having that experience in!
02:14 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 58/59
Bonus category - Souvenirs: Don’t fly halfway around the world to buy stuff made in a factory that's another half-world away. Find something small (remember you have to pack it) that’s meaningful to you or that you want to use at home.
02:14 PM - Oct 12, 2023
Matthew Robinson
A
thread 59/59
Alright, that’s it! If you have ideas and travel tips of your own, please share them. If you have questions, feel free to post them here. I hope some of this info is helpful to someone, and that it gets you thinking about the places you want to see.
02:16 PM - Oct 12, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}