Democracy For All
A
💙Democracy's💙 FIVE GOOD TO KNOWS:
1. Know your districts. Every single one.
2. Know who represents you (& who doesn't!)
3. Vote in every single election (& EVERY year has one. This year is muni & school boards. ALSO, PRIMARIES are critical!)
4. Vote your WHOLE ballot.
5. Never not vote again.
01:49 PM - Feb 22, 2023
JM Cressy
A
That's absolutely all essential. But the organizing needs to be constant even between voting years. Democracy isn't just voting. It's supporting institutions and orgs that keep people engaged and informed. One problem is ppl think once they've won at the polls, the work is done. It's never done.
In response to Democracy For All.
04:54 AM - Oct 29, 2023
Democracy For All
A
In response to JM Cressy.
But that same year (2008) where, as a volunteer, I reconciled ballots for the Clerk, I saw TONS of ballots with a mark next to Obama's name, but the REST OF THE BALLOT WAS BLANK. Also back then, turnout for midterms was ABYSMAL: on average, 32-36% And sure enough, in 2010, we lost the US House...
12:58 AM - Nov 01, 2023
Democracy For All
A
(apologies for the order of these replies) Anyway, we re-elect Obama in 2012 with record numbers, but by 2014, turnout is crap and we lose the US Senate, thus saddling PBO with a congress that would. not. work. with. him. But in Boulder County we keep banging the "vote your whole ballot" drum...
01:02 AM - Nov 01, 2023
Democracy For All
A
In response to JM Cressy.
AGREED. And you're speaking my "vote nerd" language! I have a whole thing about "every month leads to your ballot", because it's true! After designing my county democratic party's voter guide for the last eleven elections, I'm thinking about it constantly anyway. And now that you've got me started:
12:41 AM - Nov 01, 2023 (Edited)
Democracy For All
A
To expound on this: I truly believe the trend is toward folks thinking about their ballot every month of the year. But like all things in our country, we tend to "learn the hard way". For instance, our messaging for our 1st voter guide, & every VG since has been "vote your whole ballot".
12:54 AM - Nov 01, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}