Sheilah Hayden
A
My mom was excited when the rubella vaccine was first available because it was a bout with rubella that nearly killed her, and left her with a permanent heart murmur.
Anti-vaxxers are a blight.
Socio-gen @JennieKinPA
My mom has told me about her grandmother's excitement when the polio vaccine came out. Grandma Ida took a 3-hour bus trip just to be there when 5yo Mom and her siblings got the shot.

Grandma Ida had survived polio, with a permanent limp and leg weakness, but her older brother had died.
09:09 PM - Nov 09, 2023
09:28 PM - Nov 09, 2023
Socio-gen
A
In response to Sheilah Hayden.
A blight indeed. Responding to April's QS, I realized these folks would bring back smallpox if they could. "Most kids aren't left permanently scarred and it'll make their immune systems stronger."
09:30 PM - Nov 10, 2023
Trauma Epidemic
A
In response to Sheilah Hayden.
They're a target. We can't rid ourselves of them as we would a "blight". The challenging irony is that addressing the problem essentially requires setting aside our (valid) feelings about it (or at least not making them our top focus in the matter) in order to respond constructively.
05:09 AM - Nov 10, 2023
Sheilah Hayden
A
In response to Trauma Epidemic.
I don't speak stupid, so that will be a short and and very non-constructive conversation.
03:45 PM - Nov 10, 2023