Steve Marmel
A
thread 1/2
HEY AMERICAN SPOUTERS!
(You'll see why it's American only in a bit)

I have a HEALTH INSURANCE question / poll I'd love this apps information over. So please, please Echo this to anyone you think would be of interest::
#PleaseEcho

I have great insurance

My deductible is HUGE

I/my fam has No Insurance

301 votes — 11:29 AM - Nov 14, 2023 (Edited)
Steve Marmel
A
thread 2/2
appreciate info,
PLEASE DO NOT SHARE INFORMATION YOU WOULD CONSIDER PERSONAL.

Knowing that, if you'd LIKE to leave details either post here or send me a direct message.
Thank you!

- Steve
11:35 AM - Nov 14, 2023
Laurie Cavanaugh
A
In response to Steve Marmel.
I only have great insurance because my husband worked at a union job for 28 years!
04:18 PM - Nov 17, 2023
BattleFuzz
A
In response to Laurie Cavanaugh.
My husband works for the feds (NWS). They are unionized. We have really good insurance too.
04:24 PM - Nov 17, 2023
Terry Stinnett
A
In response to Laurie Cavanaugh.
My FIL was a UAW union protected employee for 37 years, retired in late 1980s, with excellent health insurance for himself, my MIL. He's now passed, she still enjoys the benefits and cannot understand why "others" don't just pull themselves up by bootstraps they don't have. 😳 And trash talks unions
08:33 AM - Nov 20, 2023
Terry Stinnett
A
We have 'platinum coverage.' Retired military-Tricare Prime til 65, then Medicare Original+Tricare for Life. FedVIP access to vision and dental, so we are pretty well squared away. Most of my distress is with Pharmacy Benefits Management (PBM) screwy rules, inconsistency in formulary (DOD-DHS issue)
09:02 AM - Nov 17, 2023
Isa-Lee Wolf
A
To be more accurate, my deductible was very reasonable, only it was a vanishing point I could never reach.

Had an ER visit and was charged out of network for in-network. Then some of the services (they can't do that). Then they made up random amounts that did or did not count toward it.

Cigna.
03:58 PM - Nov 15, 2023
Terry Stinnett
A
In response to Isa-Lee Wolf.
Sounds about right....I hope you were able to successfully challenge all of it. Takes time & energy to do so, not everyone has that
08:51 AM - Nov 17, 2023
Violetta
A
I suggest eliminating the word "great" from the first choice in your poll ... or adding another choice that simply says "I have health insurance". 🙂 (imho)
08:25 AM - Nov 15, 2023
Kelpie in Spring
A
In response to Violetta.
Plus one on this suggestion.
03:09 PM - Nov 15, 2023
Koronin
A
My husband works for a VA hospital. So we have federal insurance through the VA. However, he's seriously considering trying to get in with one of the private or state hospitals doing what he currently does.
12:58 AM - Nov 15, 2023
Sue Lee
A
Medicare and a Medicare advantage plan for a total of $190/month. Supposedly in network coverage across US. Before turning 65, same type of coverage was $1,100/month.
10:12 PM - Nov 14, 2023
Barbara Edelman
A
husband is union civil servant at county level. insurance is thru nyship-new york state health insurance plan. covered for meds & docs by united healthcare & for hospitalization by bcbs, but the union has them under very tight control. low copays, low script cost. $400/month.
09:55 PM - Nov 14, 2023 (Edited)
Jeff Russell
A
I'm a retired federal employee and for my spouse and I we will be paying $729.82 a month starting in January. I also pay for Medicare which is another $174.70 The reason I carry both is because I don't trust Congress.
09:52 PM - Nov 14, 2023
Jeff Russell
A
In response to Jeff Russell.
If they decide to do away with Medicare or somehow limit Federal Employee Health Benefits for retirees I'm hoping to be covered by one of them.
09:54 PM - Nov 14, 2023
Annie Bee Good
A
In response to Jeff Russell.
It's also smart to keep it and use it as your supplemental insurance since Medicare doesn't cover much. It also means you don't have to pay for Part D prescription coverage.
08:34 AM - Nov 15, 2023
Becky Helton
A
It's not that I have a huge deductible, it's that costs are unpredictable. I have dental insurance but needed a root canal and crown - cost $1600. With insurance. But that's not a deductible, it's just stuff they don't cover.
09:48 PM - Nov 14, 2023
American Resister
A
My answer is between the 1st 2 choices but probably closer to the first so I picked that. I’m an independent contractor so I get my insurance through the Affordable Care Act (thank you Obama!) I got more financial help when I was making less. Overall I’d say it’s well administered in my state (CA)
09:20 PM - Nov 14, 2023
Socio-gen
A
Not sure if I should participate? I have great, mostly hassle-free healthcare coverage through PA Medicaid. (Thanks, Obama!)
08:08 PM - Nov 14, 2023
Steve Marmel
A
In response to Socio-gen.
that's great.
you should participate that you are happy with your coverage
08:21 PM - Nov 14, 2023
American Resister
A
In response to Socio-gen.
LOL I said the same thing in my answer (thanks Obama)! 😃
09:21 PM - Nov 14, 2023
April ZinniaHouse
A
My deductible is $1500, which borders on HUGE, depending on my annual bonus from work. But it's not huge right now. What I would like to point out is dental insurance. Just this morning, I was given a $4700 estimate for dental work and my dental "insurance" will only cover $1000.
08:00 PM - Nov 14, 2023
Steve Marmel
A
In response to April ZinniaHouse.
ugh.
valuable info tho
08:22 PM - Nov 14, 2023
Janice Mac
A
In response to April ZinniaHouse.
Dental is exorbitant. Living close to Tijuana, and got an excellent referral, I go there for a fraction of the cost in Cali.
Have Medicare now and love how hassle free it is.
04:00 AM - Nov 15, 2023
Virginia Crochets and Stuff
A
My husband was career military so we have good health care. I think probably the best besides what Congress has.
That being said. I grew up in Canada and I loathe dealing with insurance so much!
07:28 PM - Nov 14, 2023
Blanche Davidian
A
I have Kaiser and love it..am in NorCal..my payment is less than $300 a month. To be fair am a retired civil servant (USPS) and do get a piece of it paid thru CSRS
07:26 PM - Nov 14, 2023
Sarah Gioia
A
I selected "I have great insurance" but wanted to add the caveat that it's because it's Medicaid through the state of Minnesota and it's far and away the best insurance I've ever had. I wish everyone had access to it.
07:15 PM - Nov 14, 2023
J W
A
My wife has a job at a university that does not pay well; but has fantastic benefits including very affordable healthcare for the entire family along with generous retirement benefits. Total compensation matters.
06:48 PM - Nov 14, 2023
RtHonMinisterOfSnark
A
I only have insurance via Obamacare and it’s over $1000 A. MONTH. The US is hellish
04:58 PM - Nov 14, 2023
Garnet
A
In response to RtHonMinisterOfSnark.
Oh, it was that way before Obamacare. At least for individuals who were self employed like myself Being female also didn't help (they assume there will be babies).
My premium went don't when I first got in the exchange, but it crept back up, as it always had.
07:42 PM - Nov 14, 2023
Steve Marmel
A
In response to RtHonMinisterOfSnark.
oof. thank you for the input.
08:23 PM - Nov 14, 2023
HayFarmer
A
I am very fortunate to have Medicare A and B, D for prescription medicine and a gap plan. All my doctors/ medical providers accept Medicare plus gap for their fees. Don't need pre-approval to see anyone or have any exam. Universal healthcare/Medicare for all should be a right for all Americans.
01:54 PM - Nov 14, 2023
RtHonMinisterOfSnark
A
In response to HayFarmer.
💯💯💯
05:01 PM - Nov 14, 2023
Susan Claire
A
In response to HayFarmer.
You are one of the smart ones who chose a Medigap plan instead of falling for the Medicare Advantage game created by the big insurers to boost their profits, not benefit senior citizens!
07:53 PM - Nov 14, 2023
Donna L
A
I recently went on Humana Medicare which is pretty dang good. Before that the insurance I was on had high deductible and monthly premium
12:37 PM - Nov 14, 2023
Chris
A
I have great insurance as I have Medicare and my employer pays 80% of the premium for a group Plan F policy. F pays for everything that Medicare A & B don't, which, in 3 1/2 years, is over $100K. (Prescription drugs are separate.) I'm very lucky - and grateful. I went years with no insurance
12:28 PM - Nov 14, 2023
Nancy Kurinec
A
My employer offers BC/BS Anthem (medical only no dental), 6k deductible and cost for single person coverage would be 200+ a wk from my paycheck .. cant afford it, especially during the slow winter months when 40 hr weeks are hard to come by.
12:05 PM - Nov 14, 2023
Clark
A
Been unemployed since getting laid off last year, no insurance ever since
11:50 AM - Nov 14, 2023
Shouting In The Void
A
In response to Clark.
I'm in exactly the same place.

As of now I don't have *any* insurance because I was laid off (hopefully getting a new job soon), state never expanded Medicaid, I'm on the"don't get sick*er* health plan.
Me being permanently disabled is a technicality.
09:52 PM - Nov 14, 2023
JIlda Nettleton
A
I have a huge deductible because we opted for an HSA plan. But I have to keep fighting with both providers and insurance to get things covered. One provider didn’t send in the bill to the right processor and it got denied. Still dealing with that. Lot of that kind of stuff
11:49 AM - Nov 14, 2023 (Edited)
Liz Adams
A
I have Medicare and gap. I think everyone should. I don't worry about coverage. I used, to back when I bought individual coverage, self employment, whoa, expensive, even with high deduct. What I pay in premiums for Medicare, gap, and Rx is nothing like the cost of premiums for individual coverage.
11:44 AM - Nov 14, 2023

Only followers of this user (ThePdog) can see their posts

2PupsMommy
A
I have great insurance, BUT... of my husband didn't have the job he has, I'd be wholly reliant on disability Medicare which many doctors here won't even take. So, yeah.
11:42 AM - Nov 14, 2023
Melissa Griffith ☕ aka Masker
A
In response to 2PupsMommy.
Same here.
11:45 AM - Nov 14, 2023
Audrey W
A
I can thank my husband's union. We are retired. They have us on a Medicare PPO plan that has NO copays or coinsurance, except a minimal cost for prescriptions. Crossing fingers they keep this plan. We pay $140/month premium for both of us, in addition to the Medicare premium.
11:38 AM - Nov 14, 2023
yO_Ocean
A
4th option my insurance is pretty good but both my employer and I pay a lot.
11:35 AM - Nov 14, 2023
Angelique Yaich
A
In response to yO_Ocean.
Yes, I would have chosen this option....
12:18 PM - Nov 14, 2023
Tim Graf
A
In response to yO_Ocean.
Yes, this one. my max out of pocket (including deductible) is $3500/year. Unfortunately, office visit copays don't apply to that amount, only actual charges billed to the insurance. That means I'm probably spending at least an additional $500-$700 year on top of the max.
02:31 PM - Nov 14, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}