Read aBannedBook
A
thread 1/12
I'm going to start a thread about plagiarism and types of sources and add to it as I find good links to share.

Did you know that academic librarians teach students how not to plagiarize?

Did you know that both popular and scholarly sources will cite social media posts?
02:35 PM - Nov 14, 2023
Read aBannedBook
A
thread 2/12
Some examples of popular sources are Time Magazine, New Yorker, National Geographic, etc.

Peer reviewed journals are a scholarly source, such as Journal of Academic Librarianship.

It's more complicated than that, but I want to be brief here.
Read aBannedBook
A
thread 3/12
When you post anything on a social media site it has the potential to be a source, and the last thing you want to do is post someone else's words without proper credit.

Not just because of that, but because it is plagiarism. Full blown no question about it plagiarism.
Read aBannedBook
A
thread 4/12
You may get lots of likes and show up on the viral tab or as a splashback, but you will also be plagiarizing.

I won't go into a lengthy explanation about what exactly entails plagiarism - I will add links to some of the sources I used to share with students.
Read aBannedBook
A
thread 5/12
Be assured, posting someone else's words on here without giving them the credit is indeed plagiarism.

Every time someone plagiarizes on social media a librarian shakes their head and sighs.

Please don't stress us out and give credit where credit is due instead.

Sources to follow.
Read aBannedBook
A
thread 6/12
I'm going to share a links from a website I used quite a bit when teaching. It's geared towards students but still useful for everyone. They've commercialized it a bit with ads, which I don't like, but the content is still useful.
03:04 PM - Nov 14, 2023
Read aBannedBook
A
thread 8/12
From that webpage: "It is important to recognize that standards and conventions for citing sources vary from the classroom to scholarly publishing to the professional sphere, sometimes very widely, but in all situations we must attribute other people’s words and ideas to their appropriate source."
03:06 PM - Nov 14, 2023
Read aBannedBook
A
thread 9/12
"Intentionally failing to cite someone else’s work, to claim that the ideas and words belong to you."

https://www.owl.purdue.edu...

If you don't credit the source, people will think spouts are your original words.
03:09 PM - Nov 14, 2023 (Edited)
Read aBannedBook
A
thread 10/12
I brought up scholarly versus popular sources, so here's a page that talks about them:

https://guides.lib.berkele...
03:15 PM - Nov 14, 2023
Read aBannedBook
A
thread 11/12
The links to the Purdue Online Writing Lab webpages aren't working from Spoutible, so if you're interested in seeing them, you may have to Google to access the pages instead of the direct links, sorry.
03:27 PM - Nov 14, 2023
Read aBannedBook
A
thread 12/12
Since the link to the secondary Purdue Online Writing Lab pages don't connect, here's a link to the home page that has a direct link to the plagiarism section: https://www.owl.purdue.edu...

If that link doesn't work copy paste owl.purdue.edu
07:43 PM - Nov 14, 2023 (Edited)
Michael Osborn
A
In response to Read aBannedBook.
How do you deal with sources which have disappeared, either through deletion, content restriction, or non-payment of domain fees?
02:53 PM - Nov 14, 2023
Read aBannedBook
A
In response to Michael Osborn.
Internet archive, wayback if it still exists I lost track, or say I saw this in a source I can no longer access and give as much info as possible. If it's a school paper or for publication, you probably wouldn't use a source you can't verify.
03:20 PM - Nov 14, 2023
Rae Lyn Fox
A
In response to Michael Osborn.
Check the Wayback Machine! You may find a record of it there.
Also, always record the required source data when you 1st access a source; once you have the author, pub. date, etc. you can & should always use that info to credit the source even if there’s no longer an active, linkable page/site/post.
03:24 PM - Nov 14, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}