Caroline Calcote
A
So, Thoughts. Sorry we are starting @BannedBookClub #SBBC #PaintedDrum early. So sue us. I listened to about an hour and a half this morning. I like the narrator. Obv a woman of a certain age’s voice and I like that. Also “you have no idea who I am” and ex-junky, etc. all enticing for more. 👍🏼
Professor Horseradish 🐊 @abigailevans
@CarolineCalcote I started listening to the painted drum yesterday — and have Thoughts (already! tho that’s not a surprise. I have so many damn Thoughts)

curious what you think about the likability of the narrator
09:49 AM - Nov 14, 2023
02:15 PM - Nov 15, 2023 (Edited)
Professor Horseradish 🐊
A
In response to Caroline Calcote.
3) I think what I particularly notice is that Kay (I think that’s her name, Elsie’s daughter) really doesn’t seem to like men much at all, on an underlying level. or young people, for that matter. anyone other than her mother! 😄
10:53 PM - Nov 15, 2023
Professor Horseradish 🐊
A
2) for example, the female reader feels compelled to try to drop her voice into a much deeper register for male characters, and particularly when she’s voicing the german rock-sculptor her voice fades out down there so completely I have no idea what “he’s” saying, i hear only half the dialog
10:50 PM - Nov 15, 2023
Professor Horseradish 🐊
A
1) I’m appreciating a lot of aspects of the narrative — the descriptive writing is (mostly) beautifully constructed. but I do run into ambivalent feelings about that narrator.

and then I wonder about whether my audiobook experience is part of creating that. certain traits of the reader are irksome 😒
10:23 PM - Nov 15, 2023 (Edited)
Caroline Calcote
A
In response to Professor Horseradish 🐊.
I have found the same thing with other audio books. Some readers are so good. This reader has sucked me in and I like her so far. I don’t think I am as far along as you are. I def get narrator’s anti-men & overall negative vibes (except about mom haha) but want to know more. I just got to the theft.
05:29 AM - Nov 16, 2023 (Edited)
Spoutible Banned Book Club
A
How much can I sue you for? Just wondering ...
04:19 PM - Nov 15, 2023
Caroline Calcote
A
In response Spoutible Banned Book Club to their Spout
Just don’t. I’m a lawyer if you didn’t know. Haha 😂
04:23 PM - Nov 15, 2023