Bruno and Augie’s Dad
A
This line changed my life as an educator.
“What I've found out and what I believe is that everybody is talented. It's just that some people get it developed and some don't.”

Stephen Sondheim, born this month in 1930.
#Sondheim
#HappyBirthday
#eduspouts
#mentors
#ProgressiveEducation
09:04 AM - Mar 01, 2023
Bonnie Ivanish
A
In response to Bruno and Augie’s Dad.
Much of talent getting developed depends on one's life situation. It comes down to choices, but at times those are unfair when moral obligation conflicts with personal pursuits. No regrets for my choices, but one of the worst tortures in the world is having talent and little opportunity to use it.
07:10 PM - Sep 10, 2023
Bonnie Ivanish
A
In response to Bonnie Ivanish.
That said, I agree that we are all born with gifts to be developed. My sixth grade teacher felt this way & did his best to nurture & encourage our talents, but many never have this. He was far ahead of most teachers in his approach, & many of us are all the better for his recognition of our gifts.
07:26 PM - Sep 10, 2023
Renae Duncan
A
A speaker once told us to think about our classes as a swimming pool. Some kids come to the pool after years of swim lessons, summers at the beach, & playing in their backyard pool. Others come with no experience swimming. When they arrive, we shove them all in the pool & expect them to succeed. TBC
07:50 AM - May 20, 2023
Bruno and Augie’s Dad
A
In response to Renae Duncan.
(2/2) We preach individualized instruction, and maybe at the teacher level we do it, but we don’t do it at the institutional level. We don’t encourage students to find something they love, then set them up for success in that field.
08:04 AM - May 20, 2023
Bruno and Augie’s Dad
A
In response to Renae Duncan.
08:14 AM - May 20, 2023
pat matsueda
A
I remember reading about a longtime schoolteacher in Harlem. He said that after thirty years of teaching, he'd come to believe genius is as common as dirt. My personal belief is that #autistic kids are as smart and gifted as anyone; we just haven't figured out how to communicate with them.
01:37 AM - Apr 28, 2023 (Edited)
Bruno and Augie’s Dad
A
In response to pat matsueda.
Genius is everywhere. For some reason, we disproportionately reward kids who do algebra quickly, calling them gifted and pushing them along, while we tell the rest they need to catch up. Turns out, “no child left behind” was just a slogan.

Society Is Failing Visual Thinkers
08:58 AM - Apr 28, 2023
Ellen Leigh
A
Very true! Everyone has some sort of talent, it takes interest and dedication to practice to develop it.
09:22 AM - Apr 14, 2023
Deanna (@LadyDi) of Love Wins Movement
A
This spout was removed because the account associated with it was suspended.
08:10 PM - Mar 15, 2023
KMRidgley / Artiste
A
Being an artist, and wanting and working to be that all my life, I feel that it's also about letting oneself go into and always being open to the mystery necessary to "get it developed."
08:00 PM - Mar 05, 2023 (Edited)
Bruno and Augie’s Dad
A
In response to KMRidgley / Artiste.
Finishing the hat, as it were.
10:59 PM - Mar 05, 2023
Bruno and Augie’s Dad
A
“By your pupils you'll be taught.”

Oscar Hammerstein II, The King and I

(Frequently quoted by Stephen Sondheim)