Susan A. Kitchens
A
thread 1/20
#ItsPastryWeek here in #SoCal !
Himself has big mental block about pastry, we chose the holiday weekend to tackle it.
We got take out Turkey dinner from Caltech Athenaeum (faculty club), so we can focus on cooking pastry! As Julie Powell (RIP) said in her Julie-Julia blog, “what could happen?”
05:10 PM - Nov 23, 2023
Susan A. Kitchens
A
thread 2/20
Mental prep:
1) watching Paul Hollywood’s Pies and Puds (Roku channel)
2) watching Great British Baking Show (Netflix) “The dough smells fear”
3) reading Cooks Illustrated Pie Dough 101 “baking unfilled pie pastry can turn out to be the ultimate culinary nightmare” #ItsPastryWeek #WhatCouldHappen
05:10 PM - Nov 23, 2023
Susan A. Kitchens
A
thread 3/20
We chose three pies to make, but it’s gonna turn into 4 really quick.
• quiche lorraine (Cooks Illustrated)
• onion tart (Paul Hollywood recipe)
• apple pie (Simply Recipes

We started dough for quiche and inadvertently made double recipe, so sweet potato pie joined docket
#ItsPastryWeek
05:30 PM - Nov 23, 2023
Susan A. Kitchens
A
thread 4/20
#ItsPastryWeek continues!
The pie dough has been in the fridge for a day+.
We made dinner, took out the pie dough disks, ate & watched the Great British Baking Show semi final (patisserie) has 2 pastry elements.

This package of pie weights reminds me of The Matrix, ~Mrs Anderson~ #WhatCouldHappen
01:14 AM - Nov 25, 2023
Susan A. Kitchens
A
thread 5/20
Here, Himself rolls out the pie dough. For him, this is the most nerve wracking bit, bc of past failures. Hence my quoting of Julie Powell— #WhatCouldHappen ?
It’s a good thing we have dough for 2 crusts bc that backup dough is what people in the space business call “Margin.”
#ItsPastryWeek
01:25 AM - Nov 25, 2023
Susan A. Kitchens
A
thread 6/20
Once I saw the cracking peninsulas and inlets at the edge of the dough, I got a small bowl, put a coupla ice cubes & chilled water & set it near work area.
Dotted ice water inside the crags of edges, pushed them together and patted a bit of flour on top to repair the rough edges. #ItsPastryWeek
01:36 AM - Nov 25, 2023
Susan A. Kitchens
A
thread 7/20
Was too focused on tasks of repair, demonstrate, coach, and encouragement, so no pictures.
Also, where did I learn this? Dunno. Grandma? Mama? I’ve worked with many a cracking pie crust so I picked it up SOMEwhere.

Himself: cookbooks don’t mention any of what you just did!
#ItsPastryWeek
01:41 AM - Nov 25, 2023
Susan A. Kitchens
A
thread 8/20
#ItsPastryWeek
I started rolling up dough onto rolling pin, gave pin to Himself, then worked a big spatula btwn pie dough & surface so it’d lift up easily.
Guided Himself in how to gently unroll it over glass pie dish. (his second biggest worry)
As you see by the photo above, achievement unlocked!
01:45 AM - Nov 25, 2023
Susan A. Kitchens
A
thread 9/20
#ItsPastryWeek the trick to getting dough into crease is to lift that edge and let it relax into shell and fill all the crease (+ delicately push it in).

Next, trim dough edge with a half-inch overhang. Then we rolled the extra under.
Okay, yeah, in a coupla places I had to patch it.
01:48 AM - Nov 25, 2023
Susan A. Kitchens
A
thread 10/20
#ItsPastryWeek Then pinching the pie crust edge. My method is left index knuckle on inside presses against the V shape made by right thumb and index knuckle, to make zig zagging pie edge. Here, Himself works the border.
#WhatCouldHappen ?
02:00 AM - Nov 25, 2023
Susan A. Kitchens
A
thread 11/20
Then into the fridge. #ItsPastryWeek
The raw pie crust in the pie dish cooling for 40 minutes. Cooks Illustrated says that the glutens of the dough which got stretched while rolling, need to relax, so that’s what’s going on while in the fridge.
02:05 AM - Nov 25, 2023
Susan A. Kitchens
A
thread 12/20
#ItsPastryWeek
Then into the freezer for 20 mins.
Freezing butter, esp bits of liquid there, makes it so that they melt and steam and create small pockets in cooked dough to make it flaky and wonderful. Via Cooks Illustrated All About Pie Dough,

Photo: out of freezer, foil before pie weights
02:12 AM - Nov 25, 2023
Susan A. Kitchens
A
thread 13/20
#ItsPastryWeek
The story continues. Pie weights in, we blind baked the shell for 25 minutes at 375°F, then took the weights out (this photo is that moment) and baked the empty pie shell for another 5 minutes. #WhatCouldHappen

(I was spouting during this time while Himself prepped quiche filling)
10:34 AM - Nov 25, 2023
Susan A. Kitchens
A
thread 14/20
#ItsPastryWeek
Here’s the empty pie shell just after removing the pie weights. After this photo, it went back into oven empty to bake another 5 minutes.

Alt text (oops forgot to add alt text): empty pie crust in pan, dough is a bit lighter than when raw)
10:38 AM - Nov 25, 2023 (Edited)
Susan A. Kitchens
A
thread 15/20
#ItsPastryWeek
Filling in progress— eggs are out (2 whole, 2 yolks), Gruyère cheese is grated, bacon is cooking in pan off-camera, cream, milk to come, and spices (salt, white pepper, fresh ground nutmeg!) are in tiny bowl.

This is the meanwhile step while blind baking the pie shell.
11:09 AM - Nov 25, 2023 (Edited)
Susan A. Kitchens
A
thread 16/20
#ItsPastryWeek #QuicheLorraine
Filling the baked pie crust: the Gruyère lines the bottom of the pie shell, topped with an even layer of the cut, cooked, and drained bacon.

This goes back on the oven rack in the oven…
11:12 AM - Nov 25, 2023
Susan A. Kitchens
A
thread 17/20
#ItsBakingWeek #QuicheLorraine
…the oven rack extends out a bit (and steadied) and pie is right at edge while Himself pours the custard mixture in. Cooks Illustrated directions called for filling this way. Look Ma, no spills! This is just after the filling before I gently pushed rack back in.
11:16 AM - Nov 25, 2023
Susan A. Kitchens
A
thread 18/20
After 33 minutes in the oven, the pie came out, lightly spotted on surface and kinda swollen in convex shape. Center is jiggly, apparently quiche center continues cooking/setting outside the oven. #WhatCouldHappen
12:13 PM - Nov 25, 2023
Susan A. Kitchens
A
thread 19/20
Good morning! Our quiche pie cooled all night long and the surface settled into nice flatness as it cooled. It has an eggy smell. and pie crust smell. What a glorious thing to wake up to. #WhatCouldHappen
12:14 PM - Nov 25, 2023
Susan A. Kitchens
A
thread 20/20
It slices beautifully! Here are slices on plates and the quiche pie the background. Himself is really pleased. That “Oh no we’re doomed” and silent dread mood is gone gone gone.

Taste? Creamy smooth filling, salty bacon, flaky crust. Perfection
. #WhatCouldHappen
12:16 PM - Nov 25, 2023