AprilG was fibonacci'd
A
thread 1/3
I have a simple suggestion for you. Read back through this entire thread from the start & see if you can find a way to do better next time. Do that instead of objecting to any single thing you think you did or didn't do. Do better next time.
04:06 PM - Nov 25, 2023
AprilG was fibonacci'd
A
thread 2/3
Here's how it started. Kace was very clear. Rather than listen to their literal LIVED EXPERIENCE, you set off about how not all white people.
04:10 PM - Nov 25, 2023
AprilG was fibonacci'd
A
thread 3/3
And now I'm blocked.

You're not an ally just because you call yourself one. That's not how this works.
04:30 PM - Nov 25, 2023
Changing Plumbob
A
Best lesson from university was a guest lecturer who came in and said something like "Everyone in this room is racist. You may not mean to be but you have lived in a racist society and those views are in you whether you are aware or not. Your job is to recognise this, and proactively unlearn it"
In response AprilG was fibonacci'd to their Spout
04:52 PM - Nov 25, 2023
AprilG was fibonacci'd
A
In response to Changing Plumbob.
Exactly. I would add that accepting that you personally benefit from racism is another aspect to that, and then admit that you will consciously set out to both see it and dismantle it.
05:06 PM - Nov 25, 2023
Changing Plumbob
A
In response AprilG was fibonacci'd to their Spout
For sure! I think the only reason he didn’t say that we all benefit was because the class may have been majority white but in New Zealand we have so many cultures that a large portion of the class would have experienced the detriments of racism.
06:26 PM - Nov 25, 2023