Professor Kyle
A
People love to talk about their language pet peeves... Mine is people thinking there's a "correct" way to speak a language that's constantly changing – often, as you say, to enforce entrenched hierarchy & discrimination.
Acey Deecey 🚀🚀 @mcgarrygirl78
No word started out a word. It came from people using it enough to give it context and meaning. Plus I'm always a little sus of "such and such isn't a word" squad because this is what people do with AAVE. Adulting is a word, a silly word. People like it or they wouldn't use it.
12:17 PM - Nov 26, 2023
12:22 PM - Nov 26, 2023 (Edited)
Ellen Leigh
A
As long as people understand what you are saying, what difference does it make? On the other hand, if you can't arrange words in a sentence so they make some sort of linear sense, please learn how.
In response to Professor Kyle.
12:31 PM - Nov 26, 2023
Kelpie in Spring
A
In response to Ellen Leigh.
Okay, I understand what you’re saying but also consider that sometimes the way words are arranged are for the people familiar with that language or part of that language audience/group. And, sometimes that language isn’t always for outsiders. Sometimes language is used as a protective element.
12:41 PM - Nov 26, 2023
Ellen Leigh
A
In response to Kelpie in Spring.
Absolutely! Allowances do need to be made depending on circumstances. If I am overhearing a conversation, it's not always meant for me to understand, or judge.
01:26 PM - Nov 26, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}