Only followers of this user (beec4240) can see their posts

Rosetta
A
In response to aaron.
1/? As a retired SPCED Director and teacher for students whom are non verbal and autistic I agree with everything you said. I also strongly suggest, if you haven’t done so already, call an emergency I.E.P. meeting asap. As I’m sure you know they cannot kick Maxwell out of school without giving him
12:09 AM - Nov 28, 2023
Rosetta
A
In response to Rosetta.
2/3 compensatory educational services including speech, O.T. and P.T. In the meeting as part of his safety plan it needs to be discussed about when he’s to anxious to attend school. It should be agreed upon that these “absences” not be counted against him and services should be administered
12:13 AM - Nov 28, 2023
Melinda Nowikowski
A
In response to aaron.
Schools in general (especially public schools) are inherently ableist for the reason you stated - they're designed to create good little employees. Mom was an elementary secretary for about 30 years. She loved public schools, but she saw plenty that frustrated her about this kind of thing.
11:13 PM - Nov 27, 2023
Laura Bejay
A
In response to aaron.
Thank you for your honest, informative thread. Your children have a powerful father and advocate in you.
11:01 PM - Nov 27, 2023
Carmen Derbedrossian
A
In response to aaron.
I’m sorry you and your family have to go through all this pain and frustration. Don’t apologize for venting, you are Maxwell’s voice, and you have to share in order to educate us. I don’t know how to help Maxwell, but know this, lean on us when your heart aches.
10:50 PM - Nov 27, 2023
Lydia
A
In response to aaron.
A remarkable thread. TY for posting.

W/o going in to my story, I just want to say that these are reasons why I volunteer in my grandkids’ elemtry schools. I may not be able to help the kids who struggle with disabilities, but I sure can model compassion for other kids (and administrators) to see.
09:48 PM - Nov 27, 2023
Claudia Citro
A
In response to aaron.
Hey Aaron, Maxwell and Wolfgang are very lucky to have you and your wife. Your advocacy will improve their lives immensely. I don’t know Canadian laws, but would an attorney be useful at this point? And doesn’t the school receive a lot of grant money for Special Needs? You are a great Dad
08:21 PM - Nov 27, 2023
hmmwrites (Heather's version)
A
In response to aaron.
Much of what you said here echoes for me, Aaron, and I'm sorry for what you're facing. My own Kiddo has a list of ND diagnoses, an IEP, school refusal...we're lucky the school hasn't taken the extreme of labeling him truant/expulsion, but everything's a battle with the school, and it just sucks.
07:50 PM - Nov 27, 2023
hmmwrites (Heather's version)
A
In response to hmmwrites (Heather's version).
Schools should do better by ND kids, and by all kids, really, because they are all precious and important and part of the future. It's enraging that they don't.
07:56 PM - Nov 27, 2023
ecsbrooklyn
A
In response to aaron.
I feel so much of this, & while I can't be as open as you here, know that we had anxiety and ADHD attendance problems that required an enormous amount of work. It's all so exhausting. Your kids are so lucky to have you both as their parents and their advocates. I hope this can get figured out soon.
06:14 PM - Nov 27, 2023
Dorothy Beach
A
In response to aaron.
Your story allows me some small insight into what it’s like to live with autism.
Thank you for that.
A teacher relative described her one on one teaching of Math to a 13 yo autistic male student. The same challenge WITH AN AIDE!
Now the school levy has not passed. If aides are cut what happens?
05:29 PM - Nov 27, 2023
Socio-gen
A
In response to aaron.
Thank you for sharing, and never apologize for your righteous anger. You are entirely right that school systems (and society at large) are ableist as fuck.

I am angry for your family. And if this is what they do to your son, what happens to those without the same level of support at home?!
05:26 PM - Nov 27, 2023
Klobby L
A
In response to aaron.
Thank you for sharing this. I remember battling the school system when my daughter had Lyme. It was hard enough fighting to survive with the illness and disability without having to fight the school too. And our troubles were nothing to what you are going thru. Sending strength and respect. 💛
05:16 PM - Nov 27, 2023
Janet aka April
A
In response to aaron.
This is a very important thread.
It enrages me and breaks my heart.
And I know that every word of it is true. I have seen how hard parents like Aaron have to fight for their kids. The system never makes it easy. I am sure Maxwell's teacher is devastated.
Is there anything we can do?
05:05 PM - Nov 27, 2023
Khrissy Choate
A
In response to aaron.
Thank you for sharing, Aaron. This thread brought up some unpleasant school memories for me regarding attendance issues that I faced. Thank you for putting everything so eloquently and for being open.
04:58 PM - Nov 27, 2023

Only followers of this user (susanm) can see their posts

Ginger Ninja
A
In response to aaron.
That poor kid. Things aren't much better on this side of the border on special needs attendance policies. You are doing right by them & have the fire & knowledge to make sure they are supported institutionally, via actually carrying out IEP, & emotionally. I hope M finds his joy again. 🍀
03:57 PM - Nov 27, 2023
Ellie
A
In response to aaron.
You’re a great advocate, Maxwell & Wolfgang are lucky to have you for their dad. Dont give up, there is a solution somewhere. You always can call an IEP meeting and ask the district to pay for a VERY expensive private school to meet his IEP goals & they may be more amenable to welcoming him back
03:36 PM - Nov 27, 2023
Sami Lee
A
In response to aaron.
Thank you for sharing this. I have such admiration and respect for you 💙
03:33 PM - Nov 27, 2023
Be Human
A
In response to aaron.
I just can't believe the school is so nonchalant about the whole situation. I'm just so sorry it has to be this hard.💔
03:31 PM - Nov 27, 2023
AngelaVotes BidenHarris'24
A
In response to aaron.
Sending you emotional support as you navigate this. I'm glad your kids have you to fight their corner. This sounds just like situations many of my friends are in with regards to IEPs for their children with autism or other extra-needs learners. Schools must do better. Much better.
03:01 PM - Nov 27, 2023
Craig Tyler
A
In response to aaron.
You are fiercely courageous. I admire you for that.
02:57 PM - Nov 27, 2023
Deborah Conway
A
In response to aaron.
Thank you for sharing.
That really is horrendous attendance policy and it should not exist!!!
02:51 PM - Nov 27, 2023
Andrea Villeneuve
A
In response to aaron.
Oh yes, most certainly, as are many of our systems.

As someone who has advocated through IEP’s, school refusal, outright denial of access, through education and now works to shift employment to be more inclusive and accommodating, I feel this thread, the anger and frustration.

Here to listen.
02:50 PM - Nov 27, 2023
Tom Brk
A
In response to aaron.
Wow. You sound like an amazing parent.

Kicking a kid out of school seems like a very counter intuitive punishment for missing school

I hope you find a solution for the situation
02:48 PM - Nov 27, 2023
Miss Angie Cuz I Said So
A
In response to aaron.
Thank you for sharing. Had a similar situation. And I agree attendance policies are discriminatory. 💜♾️
02:09 PM - Nov 27, 2023
Linda Eisenstein
A
In response to aaron.
Your loving patience & caring comes through. I'm so glad you have the school principal you have. Hugs to you and M or whatever version of a hug you prefer.
02:03 PM - Nov 27, 2023