Ben East
A
Who here is interested in following a process thread of a new commission I’m working on? A #PaintalongaBen if you will?
Tough. I’m doing it anyway. Follow the comments for progress.
Step 1: prime a plywood frame with texture paste. This is going to hang in a pizza shop, so needs to be hardy. #art
05:55 PM - Mar 02, 2023
Linda Careaga
A
In response to Ben East.
I’ve always wanted to try this so I’ ll be excited to watch!
10:22 AM - Mar 14, 2023
Ben East
A
In response to Linda Careaga.
Yay! It's already done- I tagged some of the stages with #PaintalongaBen so you should be able to find your way around them using that. There are 13 in all.
10:24 AM - Mar 14, 2023
Eleanor
A
In response to Ben East.
Okay. I “got in” via the hashtag so there’s that. I agree that the pink vase looks not as finished as the rest; it doesn’t seem as solid to me. Maybe a hint of shadow is needed? I love the richness of the fabric folds. The texture you’ve given them is exquisite. Thank you! I miss my art classes.
08:02 AM - Mar 14, 2023
Ben East
A
In response to Eleanor.
Great! Didn't always have space for hashtags, & you've just reminded me I need to get in the habit of attaching that to future projects.
The vase is really tricky. I've tried shading it, intensifying it... all sorts. I'm walking away from it now to return with fresh eyes later. Art class 4 the win!
08:50 AM - Mar 14, 2023
Susan Howey
A
In response to Ben East.
This sounds fun. Not to mention original...have never seen this done.
06:40 AM - Mar 14, 2023
Ben East
A
In response to Susan Howey.
Oh great! If you have Instagram I have an account there under the same name where I post a ton of this stuff, though it's not always broken down in such detail.
06:52 AM - Mar 14, 2023
Kelli R
A
In response to Ben East.
I’m here for it! So intrigued.
06:31 AM - Mar 14, 2023
Ben East
A
In response to Kelli R.
You didn't miss this did you Kelli? The whole thing's up here from start to finish, but with Spoutible's current Byzantine threading/absence of threading system it's really hard to keep track of each new post. I tried to post each stage as a reply to my previous stage.
06:57 AM - Mar 14, 2023
Miriam
A
In response to Ben East.
HOW HAVE I MISSED THIS! Going to buy supplies and stuff in the next week I was literally in the paint aisle at a shop yesterday thinking I'd love to start painting but it's so overwhelming
06:28 AM - Mar 14, 2023
Ben East
A
In response to Miriam.
MIRIAMMMMMM! I'm right here for you if you need any advice! Doesn't need to be overwhelming- it's just a question of breaking it down into distinct stages and being pig headed about following each stage without despairing about the final product.
06:55 AM - Mar 14, 2023
Angela Thompson
A
In response to Ben East.
Ben have you seen this at @waldograce , thought it maybe relevant and interesting for you about tools t protect work
03:30 PM - Mar 09, 2023
Ben East
A
In response to Angela Thompson.
Thanks so much for this Angela- that’s a really interesting innovation!
06:31 PM - Mar 09, 2023
Diane Turner
A
In response to Ben East.
Me!!!
07:03 AM - Mar 07, 2023
Ben East
A
In response to Diane Turner.
Diane, dear heart, where have you BEEN all my week on this thread?! Fortunately I should have more major developments to share later on- been making good progress this morning due to a conveniently cancelled class earlier.
07:12 AM - Mar 07, 2023
Oliver Gibson
A
In response to Ben East.
Wonderful idea and very valuable to see the process of a fellow painter. Thank you for sharing.
05:43 PM - Mar 04, 2023
Ben East
A
In response to Oliver Gibson.
Thanks Oliver! One of my first friends on here, @fumie , inspired me with a cooking thread. The hope is that it’s helpful for anyone getting started and interesting for anyone else who’s either curious or a practitioner themselves.
05:46 PM - Mar 04, 2023
Annette McDermott, ssj
A
In response to Ben East.
I with you 😀
11:45 PM - Mar 03, 2023
Ben East
A
In response to Annette McDermott, ssj.
Wonderful! Plus a Catholic sister! One of my best friends is a devout Catholic and a Thinker. Me, I’m more a Woolly Agnostic with Occasional Twinges of Niggling Mysticism.
These perspectives have led us to some genuinely interesting talks down the years!
12:11 AM - Mar 04, 2023
Joanne
A
In response to Ben East.
You’ve got my attention
06:12 PM - Mar 02, 2023
Ben East
A
In response to Joanne.
Yay! More to come tomorrow, I hope. (Bed now zzz)
06:16 PM - Mar 02, 2023
Ann Draulans
A
In response to Ben East.
I'm here for it ☺️
06:04 PM - Mar 02, 2023
Ben East
A
In response to Ann Draulans.
Woot woot! Spoutible Art Club: avanti!
06:06 PM - Mar 02, 2023
Ann Tracy
A
In response to Ben East.
acrylic painting over the texture? I was just working on a cold wax painting on paper...
05:59 PM - Mar 02, 2023
Ben East
A
In response to Ann Tracy.
Ooh, never tried cold wax- interesting!
Yes, I generally work with acrylics for the speed & convenience. These days I don't usually bother with a texture paste base, but as I say, for this particular piece, I wanted something that looks hardy.
06:03 PM - Mar 02, 2023
Ben East
A
In response to Ben East.
Step two. Grid the board as a guide and rough out the foundation sketch in pencil. Timed this stage. Took about 1 1/2 hours.

I don’t like to get too fussy with the sketch: it needs to be accurate or the likeness will be off, but it’s mostly just for marking light & shade.
05:58 PM - Mar 02, 2023
Ben East
A
In response to Ben East.
3) Apply a thin acrylic ground wash- in this case yellow ochre, burnt sienna, burnt umber, touch of red. Helps to give warmth to the final painting. Wipe down highlighted areas with a bit of paper towel. #SpoutArt #PaintalongaBen
06:01 PM - Mar 02, 2023
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}