Paul Henning
A
🖼️ Hello #Spoutible#TheDailyArt here! 🖼️

“Portrait of the Artist’s Mother”

Vincent Van Gogh

Oil on Canvas

I wonder how Van Gogh’s mother felt about being painted so green? 😝

#follow and #echo to receive a daily break from politics and see more works of art in your feed!
06:48 PM - Mar 02, 2023
Leesa Blue
A
In response to Paul Henning.
The colors faded? She looks kind and caring. Perhaps, unwell?
11:16 PM - Mar 02, 2023
Paul Henning
A
In response to Leesa Blue.
The placard at the museum says that Van Gogh’s sister sent him a black and white photograph of their mother, which he decided to paint and colorize. He wasn’t happy with the result, and the red pigments have also faded with time. She does look lovely despite the coloring :)
11:19 PM - Mar 02, 2023
Caeso_K
A
At the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam, they have an exhibit showing how the colors Van Gogh used changed and faded considerably over time.
06:57 PM - Mar 02, 2023
Paul Henning
A
In response to Caeso_K.
Yes, the placard for this portrait does mention that the reds have likely faded. It is particularly striking in this painting and when viewed in person his mother looks very sickly and pale green.
07:01 PM - Mar 02, 2023
Anne Worner
A
I only see green in the background, which is a complementary color to the red brown dress she is wearing. There can be olive tones in skin.
06:53 PM - Mar 02, 2023
Paul Henning
A
In response to Anne Worner.
The portrait appears to have an overall green hue to it when viewed in person. I just looked closer at the placard and it does mention that Van Gogh was unsatisfied with the coloring and that some of the red tones he used have faded with time.
06:59 PM - Mar 02, 2023
Carole Tyler
A
He painted her kind though.
06:50 PM - Mar 02, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}