Derick Centeno
A
thread 1/9
The times and media environment we are living through is unprecedented. We, as citizens, really need to remember to keep focused on the small and obvious matters. It’s better that we each participate and share (and/or
07:22 PM - Dec 04, 2023
Derick Centeno
A
thread 2/9
discuss what is pertinent because then it is easier to discover when a news offering or product or show is no longer performing quality journalism.

It wasn’t obvious to me until I started noticing a drift away from factual reporting to a sort of more entertainment social fare which do not do
Derick Centeno
A
thread 3/9
investigative reporting but instead present a “patina of the week” fare which is portrayed as news but isn’t as the portrayal itself is the true sleight of hand aimed at garnering advertisers. I noticed this change with CNN sadly but started to pay closer attention when changes occurred at PBS.
Derick Centeno
A
thread 4/9
Here’s an article which caught my attention and hopefully gains yours. There is a

https://www.commondreams.o...
Derick Centeno
A
thread 5/9
real financial pressure any news organization faces which explains why many organizations fold. But the other modern factor is social media. There is evidence that X, Google and Meta can and have decided what sources of media will be allowed on their services. You can read how that already happened
Derick Centeno
A
thread 6/9
with North Shore News (NSN):

https://app.box.com/s/wa6u...
Derick Centeno
A
thread 7/9
The PDF I’m sharing is derived from a newsletter I receive from them daily. Why are they important? Do you remember those wildfires which were so vast they covered most of the North East? The wildfire began in their community and they reported on it. It was just around this time that Meta and Google
Derick Centeno
A
thread 8/9
decided to cut them off. Their newsletter is more specific and deserves to be reviewed so that a context becomes clearer that Meta and Google made a decision not because of newsworthiness but rather Canadian Law was modified so that Meta and Google would have to pay NSN. Meta and Google didn’t want
Derick Centeno
A
thread 9/9
to do that. Transferring the newsletter into PDF format meant losing the embedded hyperlinks. So after the PDF existed then I added the hyperlinks back in so that Spoutizens can access them at their own convenience.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}