Only accounts this user (FruitFacedFruitKace) follows can see their posts

Gloria Glo
B
In response to ManKillah Fruitface.
This so true, my daughter's boyfriend's great-great-great grandmother is 98 and I told him to please, please ask her grandmother about all her history.
09:01 AM - Dec 06, 2023
Sheilah Hayden
A
Dad got a camcorder and was insistent that Grandpa and Grandma tell some stories about their lives. They absolutely HATED it! "Sonny, turn that off", they'd say. I did get to hear & see Grandma tell the story about how she kept the Colt pistol in her apron when the Klan came calling one day.
08:52 AM - Dec 06, 2023
The Middle Sister
A
They know stuff. Real stuff.
01:04 AM - Dec 06, 2023
Blanche Davidian
A
Us old folks do have stories
09:41 PM - Dec 05, 2023
🤘 Raymond M. Black 🤘 🐉
A
My great grandfather's last name was Black. His mother's maiden name was Fox.

My great grandmother's last name was White. Her mother's maiden name was Wolfe.
09:20 PM - Dec 05, 2023
Kerry Lynch
A
I'm in the process of writing my family's story. It is one of the most satisfying things I've ever done. But I didn't ask enough questions when my elders were alive. It is hard to put it all together via old memories, photos & documents, & Ancestry.com. But it's important to do. ASK.
07:34 PM - Dec 05, 2023
SLS StickFigure
A
My familial elders wouldn't/won't talk about anything. Secrets & lies, you know. It's a "conservative" thing. It's one of the many reasons I skedaddled the day after my high school graduation. To this day I still have no idea how exactly my parents met.
05:27 PM - Dec 05, 2023
Karen Dykstra
A
So true. Your kids don’t know what they don’t know. My son asked me once why his dad wasn’t as fun as his uncle when it came to rooting for football and/or soccer, for example. I had to explain that his dad was born in the Netherlands and immigrated when he was 6.
05:20 PM - Dec 05, 2023
Karen Dykstra
A
In response to Karen Dykstra.
He and his little sister had to learn English and acclimate to America. His uncle was born ten years later in the US and got to enjoy all of the American past times, including sport teams. Different experiences shaped their lives. Of course, my husband has other interests now, including travel.
05:23 PM - Dec 05, 2023
Democracy!Equality! Equity!Compassion!
A
My grandmother showing us what she saved and telling us her stories is how I became interested in genealogy. I wish I had known to record those conversations! There’s so much that I don’t remember! But I do remember all the love we shared!❤️
05:20 PM - Dec 05, 2023
MEAction NOW
A
So true!
Husband's aunt was staying with us for 4 months - we got so many stories from her... We shared them with his sisters; they didn't know a lot of them.

They weren't all juicy, but they helped us learn a lot more about his deceased parents. Simple little things about how they grew up.
05:17 PM - Dec 05, 2023
Thomas Liljeruhm
A
I would even suggest going a step further, Ask if you could record their stories.
04:36 PM - Dec 05, 2023
Monica M
A
I learned a lot about my great grandmother's side growing up. I was 15 when she passed at the age of 88. We have a long history in the area and I was told many stories. Elders and their memories are our history, good and bad,
09:47 AM - Dec 05, 2023
Robyn Stewart
A
One day I saw an old photo of my mom with a man who wasn’t my dad. I asked who he was and she replied “my 1st husband”. We never know our elders’s lives unless we accidentally find things or ask. After that, I asked questions of everyone in our family.
09:30 AM - Dec 05, 2023

Only followers of this user (FruitFacedFruitKace) can see their posts

CPfromCA
A
This makes me miss my grandmother. She died about 35 years ago, but I got pretty close to her the last few years of her life and would ask questions and loved to hear her stories.
02:07 AM - Dec 05, 2023
Melissa
A
I love this post Kace!
11:43 PM - Dec 04, 2023
Doctor Michael
A
I’m the historian in my family and it was one of the first tasks I did: I asked my grandparents to tell me there stories ❤️
11:18 PM - Dec 04, 2023
Linda Eisenstein
A
Grandma also told us how earlier arrivals would play hazing tricks on new immigrants, giving her impossible tasks, sending her to the store to buy "blue pepper" when she had no English & could only parrot "blue pepper, blue pepper". She was just 15 when her cousin paid for her to come over in 1913.
11:08 PM - Dec 04, 2023 (Edited)
Anton Markwart
A
In response to Linda Eisenstein.
01:37 AM - Dec 07, 2023
Linda Eisenstein
A
I remember my grandma telling me a few things about the Old country (Lithuania) when I was little. She said in their version of Halloween boys dusted their faces with flour and put beets between their teeth to look like ghouls.
10:58 PM - Dec 04, 2023
Clayton Haapala
A
When my MIL was in hospice, the service offered to have a person come and interview her for her life story, which she accepted. It was wonderfully done.
10:42 PM - Dec 04, 2023
Julianne Olds
A
So true - I wish I'd had more time with my grandparents , two passed before I was born, the other two before I had transitioned from being a teenager.
10:35 PM - Dec 04, 2023
Reginald Capers
A
I just found out about six months ago that I was born before my parents were married because I found my original vaccination card. I asked my mother why she never told me, she said I never asked.

Also my original, original birth certificate I have my mother's maiden name. Then they had it changed.
10:33 PM - Dec 04, 2023

Bonnie Ivanish
A
I'm ever grateful for the little tales my father told of his adventures as a child in Scranton/Dunmore, PA during the rough times of the Great Depression. In contrast, he was very proud but selective of his WWII US Navy memories, reluctant to stir many of those troubling images, & I didn't push.
10:32 PM - Dec 04, 2023
Jenny Leung
A
You reminded me of a school project when I was nine. I interviewed my grandfather about his time in the navy during WWII. The story he told was the first time my grandmother had heard many of the details he’d held back for decades. So many stories for us if we’re willing to be quiet and listen.
10:25 PM - Dec 04, 2023
just alex
A
Valuable advice. When my elders were here, I asked and listened to their stories. Great way to better understand the person they are today.

Ask while they still remember, and can access those memories.
10:21 PM - Dec 04, 2023
Liz Adams
A
So true. Once someone asked me about my life. A high schooler, it was a school project, talk to an old person!
10:19 PM - Dec 04, 2023

Be Human
A
Not only do they have stories, but you might find them have solutions you had not thought about 🤔
10:17 PM - Dec 04, 2023
RachelCobaltBlue
A
so sweet
10:16 PM - Dec 04, 2023
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}