Jerry Wechsler
A
thread 1/5
Each morning, I listen to brief reports from Al Jazeera, BBC, Reuters, and NPR, as well as Korean KBS. The differences between the reports is … interesting.

The Al Jazeera reporters describe bombs falling on hospitals, schools, and residences. Reuters gives a less strident version of the same.
10:27 AM - Dec 05, 2023
Jerry Wechsler
A
thread 2/5
The BBC offers a more attenuated version, noting that there are many civilian casualties despite Israeli claims that they are taking care to warn civilians with leaflets and QR codes. NPR reports feel similar to me, but even more bland.
Jerry Wechsler
A
thread 3/5
In my opinion, the Al Jazeera reports seem most authentic, as their descriptions are mostly backed up by similar stories from UN, MSF, and other NGO sources.

VP Harris, in Dubai at Cop28, made probably the strongest call to date by a US official for protection of civilians.
Jerry Wechsler
A
thread 4/5
If this is a sign of increasing US pressure, good.

It’s absolutely time for a total, general truce leading to a ceasefire and a conference of nations looking for a permanent solution in Palestine.

It seems clear this will not happen, as long as Netanyahu and his Theocrats remain in charge.
Jerry Wechsler
A
thread 5/5
That is the frustration I feel, and I suspect Harris, Blinken, and Biden feel - even if our own domestic right wing and AIPAC lobby lambasts them for ‘insufficient support for Israel’.

This is an impossible problem that must be solved.