Chris (he/him/his)
A
thread 1/5
Here's what I've learned so far about being a good person. Much of it I've learned here on Spoutible. And only now have I been able to organize my thoughts around it coherently enough.

If you're a white person you're a racist by default.

If you're cis you're a transphobe by default.
02:27 PM - Dec 08, 2023
Chris (he/him/his)
A
thread 2/5
If you're het you're a homophobe by default.

If you're a man you're a sexist by default.

If you're a Christian (even just culturally) you're antisemitic and Islamophobic by default.

Why do I say that? Because to be anything else you need to be an unconditional ally. And allyship is based on
Chris (he/him/his)
A
thread 3/5
your conduct, not what pretty thoughts you might have in your damn head. And it sure as hell doesn't have anything to do with whether as you put a pride flag or BLM on your profile. Or if you like the right spouts or not. Or who you're goddamn friends with.

Everyone has a different capacity to
Chris (he/him/his)
A
thread 4/5
do impactful things, but are you trying? Acting offended when people assume that you're the default or demanding unearned respect tells me you're not.

So am I a good person? That's for others to judge. But I'm listening, learning, and trying to self-educate. I'm trying to walk the walk and not
Chris (he/him/his)
A
thread 5/5
just talk the talk. But, damn, I don't ever feel like it's enough. Not by a mile.

Please echo if you agree. I think there are plenty of people on Spoutible who need to think about these things a little more.
Kathleen F789
A
In response to Chris (he/him/his).
Thanks for these reminders. I wasn't sure where you were going with this. I'm pretty sure we can all do better. I say that as a grandmother to a trans-grandchild, grandmother to a multi racial child, mother-in-law to a Black son-in-law, and me being privileged at this stage of my life.
04:12 PM - Dec 08, 2023 (Edited)
Claudia Citro
A
We are defensive by nature. Once we can get over ourselves, and receive some truth into our hard heads, we can accept. Then learning and unlearning can begin.

Though I have miles and miles to go, the journey has begun. And will continue for our lifetimes.
04:06 PM - Dec 08, 2023
Chris (he/him/his)
A
In response to Claudia Citro.
Agreed. And being in most of the privileged categories out there, I feel a special responsibility to keep pushing this message. People in vulnerable communities have a hard enough time without having to try to explain this stuff to their oppressors.
04:12 PM - Dec 08, 2023 (Edited)
Linda Steinson
A
It will take years of consistent, conscious behaviour of respectful attitudes and behaviour for the automatic respect for all human beings to be the predominant way. It is helpfull to keep an open, respectfull dialogue going both ways in order to achieve this important goal. Spoutible is a great pla
03:35 PM - Dec 08, 2023