RA
A
This interview with Ruby Bridges is a must-watch. I had no idea that after her school was "integrated," she actually spent the whole year alone in a classroom with a white teacher who came in from Boston because there apparently wasn't a single decent white person in her whole town.
Ruby Bridges: Racism Is A Grown-up Disease. Let’s Stop Using Our Kids To Spread It. - YouTube

Author, civil rights activist and icon of American history Ruby Bridges shares personal details about her incredible act of bravery as a six year-old, and re...

12:37 PM - Jan 23, 2024
Reginald Capers
A
In response to RA.
I don't think we give Ruby Bridges parents enough kudos. I often think of our own sons in this story.

would my wife and I have sent our sons to that school?

So many parents put themselves and their children in the direct line of danger for a cause they believed in.
01:02 PM - Jan 23, 2024
RA
A
In response to Reginald Capers.
Yes, and I love that she speaks about her parents' decision in this interview. They were only able to attend school sometimes when they were kids, so access to education was incredibly meaningful them.
01:04 PM - Jan 23, 2024
Susan McBride
A
In response to RA.
My kiddo read about Ruby Bridges in elementary school a few years back. So, I did, too. I didn't know that, either! I think of Ruby's strength--and her parents--and how they paved a path for so many to follow. How scary it must've been! How alone. We should all know her story & every story like it.
12:50 PM - Jan 23, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}