Steve Marmel
A
thread 1/4
I refuse to join the “let Texas secede” chorus.
It’s not a red state, it’s a suppression state.
What of the 4m people who voted for @BetoORourke against Cruz?
The 4.8m who voted for mjhegar against Cornyn?
Everyone who was denied equal access to the ballot?
Leave them to rot? #SaveTexas
12:07 PM - Feb 01, 2024
Steve Marmel
A
thread 2/4
You can’t say “just move.”
Not everybody can pick up and leave for a variety of reasons. Wealth. Health. Family. Work.
They’re stuck. Now courtesy of the republican destruction of Roe v. Wade, they are born there regardless of what the mother wants. #SaveTexas
Steve Marmel
A
thread 3/4
Saying “F*ck Texas” says “F*ck you” to a lot of good people when you mean “F*ck Abbott,” or “F*ck the TX GOP.”

Those people are out there, doing their best in a hostile environment. They need encouragement. To know we have their back. That we’ll help anyway we can. So… #SaveTexas
Steve Marmel
A
thread 4/4
What are the BEST WAYS you can think of to HELP Texans?

I don’t live there.
I’m not on the ground.
Let’s stop - myself included - treating them like a Red MAGA blob of hate.

This isn’t a debate. It’s opinion. Reply with ideas, I’ll amplify the best I can. ✌️ #SaveTexas
Just a scifi nerd
A
In response to Steve Marmel.
And the fact that the notion of being able to secede was settled in the 1860’s. But with the alternative facts that seem to be taught as history there are clearly people who don’t realize this.
09:24 PM - Feb 04, 2024
GrannyScrewsTheNews
A
If the only way to change a situation is for the toddler to be put in time out, I say so be it.
09:35 AM - Feb 02, 2024

Only followers of this user (DataDawg) can see their posts

Liz
A
Steve Marmel @Marmel
I refuse to join the “let Texas secede” chorus.
It’s not a red state, it’s a suppression state.
What of the 4m people who voted for @BetoORourke against Cruz?
The 4.8m who voted for mjhegar against Cornyn?
Everyone who was denied equal access to the ballot?
Leave them to rot? #SaveTexas
05:57 PM - Feb 01, 2024
Diogenes Wept
A
I won't lie. I fled Texas for many reasons, and I'm glad I don't live there anymore. I'm a cold-weather person and I can't bear the heat. But the helplessness I felt by the overwhelming ten-gallon-fucking-hat bullying from guys who couldn't abide being out-thought by a petite lady just did me in.
04:38 PM - Feb 01, 2024
PS Annie
A
Thanks for saying this Steve. I don't understand why this is so hard for people to understand. The whole concept or Red states and Blue states is fiction.
04:31 PM - Feb 01, 2024
Rissa Corn
A
Blue in TN.
The South is USA's last apartheid region; nobody acknowledges that.
Reconstruction after the Civil War ended with secessionist killing elected Black officials & the north looked away.
95yrs later the Civil Rights Act was passed. We've been pretending everything's fine since
04:26 PM - Feb 01, 2024
Salem Thorne
B
Totally agree. Plus, Texas is a beautiful state w/very warm & funny ppl that will stop & help you in a heartbeat. We need to help the good ppl of TX to run out the MAGA lunatics from govt & restore sanity to a great state.
04:19 PM - Feb 01, 2024
Will Hutchinson
A
This is why I give to #democracydocket
04:15 PM - Feb 01, 2024
Iron Talon
A
I am guilty but you made an excellent point. I don't have anything to offer but thoughts and prayers.
03:39 PM - Feb 01, 2024
Robin
A
Spot on! If able one can donate to causes and /or candidates fighting for change in "suppression states". I've done that a few times.
03:20 PM - Feb 01, 2024
Gloria H
A
Steve, I could hug you. I spouted about this about a week ago. I've unfollowed people who have said f*** Texas because they don't have a clue how hard blue islands in the red sea are trying. TYSM for articulating it so well.
03:18 PM - Feb 01, 2024
Miss QuiteanAccount
A
The same goes for Florida. We’re fight against the 🟥current 🌊
01:07 PM - Feb 01, 2024
💜 Callie 💜
A
Exactly! “Red” states are voter-suppressed states. For decades we’ve been told not to discuss election integrity “to prevent voter apathy”, which played out well for those who don’t want us to vote. Not to mention, secession leads to aggression towards civilians & other states’ people & resources.
12:50 PM - Feb 01, 2024
Karavelle Gregory
A
That’s my caveat:

If they secede, the remainder of the U.S. has to have a robust system in place to take in refugees from those rogue states.
If you think there’s a migration problem now, just you wait…
12:32 PM - Feb 01, 2024
Kirk Taylor
A
Texas has been polarized by extremist politicians trying to normalize what would've been called "the batshit crazy far right" just a decade ago. Its people are way more "purple" than its leaders.
12:31 PM - Feb 01, 2024
Emma
A
Exactly this. I’m in Texas, am included in your numbers, and am terrified that I’d get stuck in on of my many versions of a complete nightmare.
12:27 PM - Feb 01, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}