Tracy I
A
thread 1/6
Time has been creeping up on us, we were not ready for Mardi Gras or Valentines 💌 . Postponing the later til this weekend. But I did want to give some thought to what @Canyonsfan said yesterday. Our experiences impinge our holidays. The community of celebrating with everyone else can be good,
10:37 AM - Feb 15, 2024
Tracy I
A
thread 2/6
bonding even, but like all of life it isn’t joyful for everyone. The last time we heard from our Geocaching friend Anu was Dec of ‘22. She called for a hint on a cache, we chatted, promised to get together more in 2023. She was going to Yuma for the first time in early February. We couldn’t swing it
Tracy I
A
thread 3/6
storms at New Year’s damaged the house, we weren’t prepared to travel yet. We expected to hear from her after Yuma, we saw her posts on Geocaching, she was having a blast. I was about to reach out in early March, when I heard the news. She had been missing since Valentines Day and her charred remain
10:37 AM - Feb 15, 2024 (Edited)
Tracy I
A
thread 4/6
s had just been found near Fresno. Her husband (I had no idea she had a husband, assumed she was divorced or separated, I only knew she had 2 kids in their 20s living at home) had been arrested based on evidence in his truck. The signs were there, she wasn’t on social media, never wanted to be in
Tracy I
A
thread 5/6
pictures, she said it was because of her job. It wasn’t. There was domestic violence. She had been finding her independence through geocaching, was working towards doing something about it now that her kids were grown. People knew, but they didn’t because she was so joyful, so giving.
Tracy I
A
thread 6/6
And now she’s gone. 53, looked 43. We made it back to Yuma this year. This has been haunting me since last year. We weren’t super close, but we had talked some about life outside of Geocaching, we lost a mutual friend in 2021. We always think we’ll have more time.

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}