Susan McBride
A
Maybe it's 'cause I'm oldish, but I don't get our society's need to equate old age with incompetence. As a kid, I so admired my grandparents. They were so strong & loving. I never felt they were less because they had white hair & wrinkles. We need to change our attitude. Old age is not a bad thing.
11:00 AM - Mar 06, 2024
Living The Dream
B
In response to Susan McBride.
Not only is it not a bad thing, in most cases, I want that grizzled old veteran who’s been around the block a few times than some young snot nose whipper snapper who’s still trying to figure out how to tie their tie. TFG has definitely given old folks a bad name and has proven that stupid is 4ever.
10:27 PM - Mar 06, 2024
Susan McBride
A
In response to Living The Dream.
I think of all the folks over 50 who have trouble getting jobs, 'cause everyone wants to hire someone younger and pay them less. That experience is invaluable. We don't talk about ageism nearly enough in this country, 'cause we have so many other isms that need urgent addressing. But it's there.
09:14 AM - Mar 07, 2024
Democracy!Equality! Equity!Compassion!
A
In response to Susan McBride.
I’m thinking it’s because families are often so separated by distance these days. When people stayed closer together, the elders stayed part of the ‘village’ and people taught the young respect for their knowledge and skills.
12:27 PM - Mar 06, 2024
Susan McBride
A
In response to Democracy!Equality! Equity!Compassion!.
That's def one reason. I think the media/advertising's obsession with youth is another. We're constantly told/shown that it's better to be young. That we need to fight aging. That it's bad to wrinkled or even in the spotlight when you're not young and pretty with skin that looks permanent-pressed.
12:40 PM - Mar 06, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}