Angela
A
Never forget that Social Security & Medicare are savings plans that all workers contribute to from every paycheck their entire working life. (Though it's income capped for the wealthy.) When Republicans say they want to end Social Security they are saying they want to steal your savings.
12:20 PM - Mar 12, 2024
Francis Ngugi
A
In response to Angela.
I wish more politicians talked about SS this way. It's not an entitlement. You pay it forward for those retiring now for the duration of your productive life.
10:54 PM - Mar 12, 2024
Rainbow Trucknutz
A
In response to Angela.
Earned benefits
08:33 PM - Mar 12, 2024
jocelynjtweet
A
In response to Angela.
I think they should do away with the income cap or raise it significantly. Not only would that help solvency, but it would be an additional way to make the richer pay their fair share. I’d be willing to bet wealthy people (on average) live longer and draw benefits longer.
01:33 PM - Mar 12, 2024
Angela
A
In response to jocelynjtweet.
I completely agree.
01:35 PM - Mar 12, 2024
TheQuietOne
A
In response to Angela.
This is somewhat incorrect. SS is a transfer payment from the working to the retired and disabled. If it was a savings plan they would have had to wait years before the first checks went out but benefits started just about immediately. The excess goes to the trust fund, not a personal account.
01:06 PM - Mar 12, 2024
Angela
A
In response to TheQuietOne.
Way to be pedantic and completely miss the point.
01:20 PM - Mar 12, 2024
KLFDetroit
A
In response to Angela.
Republicans have been stealing from that fund thanks to ronnie reagan.
We must continuously ask much of our president. We must raise the social security cap from 130k t0 500k. Life just would be so much less stressful.
12:42 PM - Mar 12, 2024
Angela
A
In response to KLFDetroit.
I completely agree.
01:35 PM - Mar 12, 2024
Tim Graf
A
In response to KLFDetroit.
Exactly. That's why they're so desperate to kill SS, so they never have to pay back the literally trillions of dollars that ronnie and his minions "borrowed".
02:10 PM - Mar 12, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}