Lola
A
I love this story but it's a bit more complex. Prior to this, both Eartha Kitt and Joyce Bryant performed at the Mocambo. The reason why the club's owner Charlie Morrison was hesitant about Ella Fitzgerald is that she was black and overweight. Black women deemed sexy enough were considered.
Miriam @Miriam
Ella Fitzgerald was barred from performing at the Mocambo club in the 1950s due to her race. Marilyn Monroe, a fan of Ella's music, intervened and promised to attend nightly if they booked Ella. The owner agreed, & Marilyn kept her promise. Ella's career skyrocketed.

#WomensHistoryMonth
04:36 PM - Mar 13, 2023
04:50 PM - Mar 13, 2023
Irminsul Harp
A
In response to Lola.
This spout was removed because the account associated with it was suspended.
06:20 PM - Mar 13, 2023
Lola
A
In response to Irminsul Harp.
I didn't know that about Koko Taylor. Such a powerhouse of a singer, truly the Queen of the Blues.
06:40 PM - Mar 13, 2023
RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his)
A
In response to Lola.
That part I did not know, but I still will give props to Marilyn for stepping up to to plate and making sure Ella got her due regardless of the circumstances.
06:17 PM - Mar 13, 2023
Lola
A
In response to RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his).
Oh absolutely.
06:38 PM - Mar 13, 2023
Lola
A
In response to Lola.
In my opinion, the more nuanced version makes it even worse than straight up racism because of the implication that black women would be tolerated if only they could be viewed as sexual objects.
04:53 PM - Mar 13, 2023
Miriam
A
In response to Lola.
Wow thanks for the info, will do a deeper dive. That's interesting and yes does seem worse, very dehumanizing.
05:30 PM - Mar 13, 2023
Cisne Pascal
A
In response to Lola.
It is the very same today. What you think the outrage about Lizzo is? You think if she was Halle' playing that flute ppl would lose their shit like this?
06:51 PM - Mar 13, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}