Anton Brakhage
A
There are 5 things I believe the US must do before it can be called a full democracy:

1 Kill the Electoral College.
2 Pass strong voting rights legislation to counter voter suppression.
3 Pass the Equal Rights Amendment.
4 A REAL judicial ethics code.
5 Expand SCOTUS or remove corrupt justices.
RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his) @RobPalmerIRL
If we wanna get rid of the EC, the Dems will have to take control of most of the South, then we can make an inroad to strip that wedge, as well as the wedge of gerrymander, and make fair, equitable elections permanent, and not subject to the whims of a corrupted SCOTUS.
01:57 AM - Mar 26, 2024
02:01 AM - Mar 26, 2024
Trauma Epidemic
A
In response to Anton Brakhage.
I would put eliminating the substantial long-time, widespread influence of #HostileForeignInterference and the more general leveraging of wealth on elections and politicians at the top of the list. E. g., campaign finance regulations. A reversal of Citizens United could come after that (or 4 & 5).
04:37 PM - Mar 26, 2024
Anton Brakhage
A
In response to Trauma Epidemic.
The purchasing of the judiciary is part of what that list addresses.

Citizens United should go, but it's one of the many things I don't think can change until most of the rest of that list is done. Right now we can't even get major legislation through Congress, much less a Constitutional Amendment.
06:46 PM - Mar 26, 2024
RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his)
A
In response to Anton Brakhage.
Yes there's a lot of stuff that would need to be put in the Constitution so that way it's not on the whim of a corrupted Justice/GOP politician. For right now we gotta fight the Gerrymanders that's plaguing especially GOP maladministrated states to flip state houses.
02:25 AM - Mar 26, 2024
Anton Brakhage
A
In response to RobPalmerIRL (he/him/his).
Step 1 obviously must be electing more Democrats (reliable Democrats, not turncoats/Trojan horses).

Step 2 has to be finishing off the filibuster, because we can do nothing really big legislatively otherwise.

Step 3 has to be judicial reform, because otherwise any other reforms may be struck down.
02:51 AM - Mar 26, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}