Drea
A
thread 1/6
Neurodivergent in an NT world... #WAAD
@FruitFacedFruitKace has reminded me of how much others need to learn understand.

A story: (with consent)

I will first off say in many ways I was lucky to have people who listened and tried to understand when talking accommodations and needs in school for my
10:11 AM - Apr 02, 2024
Drea
A
thread 2/6
son (way back when). It helped.

In order to get funding for an aide or help in the classroom, the school had to "prove" need. Difficult when there are no behaviour issues in the classroom (just at home, in a safe space) We had to build a case.

The school administrator decided to sit in on a class
10:11 AM - Apr 02, 2024 (Edited)
Drea
A
thread 3/6
and observe. He received a very eye opening experience on sensory issues and what it's like to live in a world that is constantly making noise. In the span of 10 minutes, he recorded over 500 small reactions to things like chairs scraping, chalk on the chalkboard, the pencil sharpener, low
Drea
A
thread 4/6
conversations, and so many of the things we ignore, or take for granted. He watched as my child tightened his body, covered his ears, held his head, grimaced, or audibly moaned with every noise that was bringing him to sensory overload.

The good thing about learning - is that you can make things
Drea
A
thread 5/6
better. They dug into the budget to fund a quiet tent in the attached cloakroom for down time, tennis balls on chair feet to dampen noise, headphones in the classroom, removal of the pencil sharpner. Every change brought a benefit to the entire room, not just my son. This is the benefit of learning,
Drea
A
thread 6/6
of making things better, of leading with empathy and trying to understand.

/fin
T. Naught
A
In response to Drea.
i love this story & its happy ending 💜
02:44 PM - Apr 02, 2024
Drea
A
In response to T. Naught.
It’s a good story that really drops into what you can do if you learn, listen, and love.

I am ever appreciative of working with folks willing to do all three.
03:13 PM - Apr 02, 2024
Cheryl Harrington
A
In response to Drea.
When people take the time to really pay attention, change happens. Thank you for sharing this. xo
10:14 AM - Apr 02, 2024
Drea
A
In response to Cheryl Harrington.
Amazing how it has directed my path and what I have learned on this journey. 💕
10:18 AM - Apr 02, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}