Rep. Ritchie Torres
A
15 years ago, I dropped out of college because of severe depression. I thought of taking my own life because I felt the world around me had collapsed. I even admitted myself into a hospital.

I would not be alive, let alone in Congress, were it not for mental health care.

My story:
First openly gay, Afro-Latino congressmember talks the importance of mental health - YouTube

New York Congressman Ritchie Torres reflects on his struggles with mental health, and stresses the importance of mental health resources.SUBSCRIBE to GMA's Y...

09:31 PM - Mar 15, 2023
Kathleen Kern
A
In response to Rep. Ritchie Torres.
I’ve been hospitalized for mental health issues too, and yet I still believe Palestinians should have the same human rights as Israelis and U.S. citizens.
11:11 AM - Jan 15, 2024
Katie E
A
Long ago I was married to a military guy and we had issues that I thought stemmed from my childhood sexual abuse...
.... the AF doctors absolutely refused to address it, just gave my pills and patted me on the head.
05:23 AM - Dec 27, 2023
j luch
A
I always look forward to reading your words, Rep Torres. We are very, very fortunate that you stayed with us and you now have a positon that serves us well.
Keep on making 'good trouble'! ✌️
07:30 PM - Nov 17, 2023
Tina Alford
A
Thank you for sharing your story. Just yesterday, my grandson told me of his depression and anxiety, to my relief.
10:06 AM - Oct 07, 2023
Cheryl Taylor
A
Thank you for sharing your story you are truly an inspiration ❤️❤️❤️❤️
11:01 PM - Aug 24, 2023
Martha HC in Va
A
Thank you for sharing your story!
12:43 PM - Aug 03, 2023
Brit Scot ☮️
A
✋️suicide survivor here, mental health is debilitating to the point of thinking or acting on the belief death is better. I know it's not if done by my own hand. The journey is long, but worth it.
Sometimes. (See, it never leaves me)
✌️🇬🇧
01:29 PM - Apr 19, 2023
BigBrownGirl
A
Thank you for staying and speaking freely. Those two actions alone will save lives.
09:31 PM - Mar 20, 2023
Mindy!!!
A
Thank you for speaking out. Those of us struggling with mental health problems appreciate you so much! 🥰
09:06 PM - Mar 20, 2023
Drew Herzig
A
I dropped out of high school because of severe depression. I thought of taking my own life because I felt the world around me had no place for me. I was even admitted into the psych ward of a hospital. This was in 1969. So little has changed! So many lives broken. And still the stigma is there.
12:00 AM - Mar 17, 2023
Chelle Luna
A
Thank you for your courage in sharing your story. Depression can haunt your life and make every day a struggle. I’m grateful for this message and that you were willing to serve as a representative.
09:02 PM - Mar 16, 2023
Dorothy Wright
A
Thank God you made it. We all have had our struggles. I’m so glad you’re in Congress.❤️
08:58 PM - Mar 16, 2023
Courtney Kimmelman
A
Thank you for sharing your story with us.
03:14 PM - Mar 16, 2023
Carol Norris
A
As a psychotherapist, I can't stress enough how vital voices like yours are to normalize #mentalhealth issues. No shame. No weakness. No moral failing. This is about being human. Biochemistry. Traumatic life experiences. This can happen to ANY of us. Full stop.
#MentalHealthMatters
02:52 PM - Mar 16, 2023 (Edited)
DS Spouting
A
Bless you for being vulnerable and courageous enough to share this with the world. Wishing you great health and continued healing.
02:11 PM - Mar 16, 2023
LauraMorris
A
Thank you Congressman for using your public platform to talk about such a personal thing. You and #SenJohnFetterman are making a major difference and will move more people to ask for help. The #depression stigma you speak of is part of what isolates so many. Grateful for you!! #mentalhealth
11:25 AM - Mar 16, 2023
Boadicea TX
A
I am so glad you sought and received help.

I'm gonna use your story to remind me that I need to do that too.
11:16 AM - Mar 16, 2023
MANTA & FREE PALESTINE
A
Mental health treatment should be made available to every American for free or at low cost. And to be honest men need it the most right now imo. The history of violence in this country needs to be rooted out.
11:02 AM - Mar 16, 2023
Michelle Has Time Today Schultz
A
Thank you for sharing! I am sure your words will inspire countless others.
08:25 AM - Mar 16, 2023
Kathy Citera
A
Thank you for sharing. You ROCK💚☀️
07:30 AM - Mar 16, 2023
Angry Black Woman
A
So grateful that you were able to get what you needed in order to be here in this moment. I appreciate you and all that you do!
06:33 AM - Mar 16, 2023
Christine McNichol
A
Glad you got the help you needed💜 thank you for talking about it it could help someone else who may be struggling 🥰
04:18 AM - Mar 16, 2023
Drew Herzig
A
You speak for so many of us, some of whom can not speak out freely because of the stigma still associated with mental health issues. Thank you for using your position to speak out about this!
11:56 PM - Mar 15, 2023
Sonia C
A
I lost my father in law to depression. Several years later I found myself traveling the same path. It is a very dark place. Unlike sadness, you don’t “snap” out of it. I’m grateful we were both able to get the care we needed. Be well my friend. 💙

Thank you
11:40 PM - Mar 15, 2023
Kinzie Mat
A
In response to Sonia C.
07:33 AM - Mar 16, 2023
Mimi22
A
I started my journey in 2009. My very best wishes to you in your campaign and in life.
10:30 PM - Mar 15, 2023
Lisa W FirstWave
A
Thank you for sharing your story. I hope that it can be helpful to others.
10:27 PM - Mar 15, 2023
MEAction NOW
A
Your story is one of strength in overcoming illness and of courage to share what should be daily conversation, but isn't. This however, moves us a step closer to making it a part of everyday conversation.
Now we need all insurance companies to adequately cover mental healthcare treatment.
10:21 PM - Mar 15, 2023
Dissident Aggressor
A
Having dealt with the same issues during the same time frame in my life, I respect this statement so much.

Baby steps. We have your back.
10:10 PM - Mar 15, 2023
Mama D
A
Thank you for sharing your story. I had a similar experience dropping out of grad school on my first attempt. It’s helpful to know that others understand what it’s like to be severely depressed.
10:09 PM - Mar 15, 2023
Marsha in OR
A
Bravo
10:04 PM - Mar 15, 2023
{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}