J.D. Cunegan
A
thread 1/6
I'm tired of this narrative of higher education as liberal indoctrination factory.

Students aren't learning about taxing the rich in biology lab. They're not being fed anti-war talking points in their engineering classes.
09:36 PM - Apr 27, 2024
J.D. Cunegan
A
thread 2/6
I know college graduates along the entirety of the political ideology spectrum. From the MAGA-est Republican to the left-of-Bernie. Next time some politician rails against higher ed in this way, check their bio; I bet they hold at least one college degree (and often from Ivy schools).
09:37 PM - Apr 27, 2024
J.D. Cunegan
A
thread 3/6
College itself didn't make me more liberal; all it did was introduce me to people from backgrounds and places I'd never been exposed to before, and it taught me how to look at things critically and think for myself.
J.D. Cunegan
A
thread 4/6
If that's what makes me liberal, then that says more about the opposing political viewpoint than it does about higher education -- a truly transformative and life-changing entity that I remain convinced is vital to so many, blue, red, purple, or none of the above.
J.D. Cunegan
A
thread 5/6
This cynical, anti-intellectual rhetoric around higher education does nothing but distract and detract from the real issues colleges and universities are facing, and we risk spending so much time and energy fighting that nonsense that the real issues become a bigger threat.
J.D. Cunegan
A
thread 6/6
Signed,

Proud college graduate who has spent nearly his entire professional career in higher education, in one form or another.
09:38 PM - Apr 27, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}