⚛️Shawn Athan
A
I think I need to hop off Twitter again. What part of occupying a building do they think is "peacefully protesting"? I'm baffled. These same clowns are mad, and rightfully so, that the Capitol was stormed. Ummm...
11:16 PM - Apr 30, 2024
DMA Anderson
A
In response to ⚛️Shawn Athan.
Peaceful does not mean everyone else continues life without disruption or discomfort. It means not employing physical harm. In a culture where mainstream citizens only respond to issues if they're personally affected, it is a history-tested tactic.
11:20 PM - Apr 30, 2024
⚛️Shawn Athan
A
In response to DMA Anderson.
Their are laws on the books in every state that define a peaceful protest.
https://www.aclu.org/know-your-rights/protesters-rights#:~:text=The%20First%20Amendment%20protects%2...
11:23 PM - Apr 30, 2024
DMA Anderson
A
One note - the right to peaceably assemble is a Constitutional right (federal), as opposed to a state-level one. And this definition is important to read. It protects my right to assemble, as opposed to other people's rights to never be inconvenienced by that assembly.
11:26 PM - Apr 30, 2024
⚛️Shawn Athan
A
Show me where they can occupy a building in NYC.
11:33 PM - Apr 30, 2024
DMA Anderson
A
As you research, focus on public, as in government owned and typically accessible to the public, buildings (e.g., protesting in a legislative building). The right is not unlimited, i.e., you can't block pathways, cause harm, or otherwise do illegal things in the process of assembling.
11:41 PM - Apr 30, 2024
⚛️Shawn Athan
A
I don't need to research. I've protested for several decades. I know the laws in the municipalities I protested in. I'm also Black and know I can't get away with the same shit these clowns are trying to get away with so at no time have I EVER thought to storm a building, which they did.
11:45 PM - Apr 30, 2024
DMA Anderson
A
Yes, I know you're Black; I follow you. I am, too, and protested, too.

Municipal laws can't override federal, constitutional rights.

The reason public universities are responding differently than private ones is due to the First Amendment.

And how that's enforced includes race and class.
12:02 AM - May 01, 2024
⚛️Shawn Athan
A
The mayor of NYC appoints the Police Conmisioner. The mayor is Eric Adam's, a Black man. And what federal right do you have to occupy a building?
12:08 AM - May 01, 2024 (Edited)
DMA Anderson
A
Exactly. Being Black doesn't exempt you from being biased against Black people (just as women can be biased against other women).

I think I'm hearing you're not aggravated about the assembling in the buildings, just the privilege with which some protestors are operating. If so, understood.
12:11 AM - May 01, 2024
DMA Anderson
A
Re assembling in buildings, that was my earlier note about public buildings. Those are the spaces where assembly may be allowed, as long as it isn't disrupting proceedings or violating laws. So, for example, you'll see protestors inside chambers at government meetings.
12:13 AM - May 01, 2024 (Edited)
⚛️Shawn Athan
A
Very much so. I wouldn't dare do something like that & expect zero consequences, let alone food delivery. If you wanted food then that's something you set up ahead of time for a long term protest. Don't expect the school you're protesting to feed you. My dad was also a cop, so I was raised different
12:30 AM - May 01, 2024 (Edited)

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}