Christopher Bouzy
A
It's the same question worded differently with different results. The polls are not scientific, but this experiment demonstrates how you can manipulate the outcome of a poll with just how you word it.
02:32 PM - May 01, 2024
Elena
A
In response to Christopher Bouzy.
🎯
06:49 AM - May 03, 2024
M Kaur
A
Never trusted polls since I saw this. Yes I’m that old. https://youtu.be/6GSKwf4AI...
Yes Prime Minister - Sir Humphrey shows poll rigging - YouTube

Sir Humphrey shows how to ask the same people, using different angles of questions, and get the opposite results of the polls.

09:25 PM - May 02, 2024
Margaret (Peggy) Ann Alick
A
That's why I keep saying, you need to know the exact question asked and how many people answered the poll!
12:09 AM - May 02, 2024
Mlb Anx
A
Facts.
09:14 PM - May 01, 2024
NTropy Sellers
A
I think you missed the Representatives' option to vote "present", which would neither support vacating his speakership, nor support keeping Johnson as Speaker of the House. It would put the weight of the decision squarely, and solely on the GOP Reps. (i.e.: stand back and watch them eat their own.)
06:40 PM - May 01, 2024
NathanJCaboose
A
I remember something similar in college. I was shown two polls about people's thoughts on aid to the poor and welfare.

People were in favor of the former, but against it when it was referred to as "welfare."
06:15 PM - May 01, 2024 (Edited)
Christopher Maldonado
A
One of the most important classes I had taken during my college days was a Philosophy class called Critical Thinking. The amount of time we spent reviewing polls and extrapolation of data from those polls was intense but super important and has had me skeptical of every poll I read or participate in
06:03 PM - May 01, 2024
Tracy I
A
In response to Christopher Maldonado.
This needs to be covered in HS! It’s essential to participatory democracy, without it we will be doomed to more government by Boaty McBoatface.
06:19 PM - May 01, 2024
Groove Toad
A
In response to Christopher Maldonado.
I took a grad class called “Social Science History.”We tore data sets apart. As the professor said, “I can make a data set say whatever I want.”
11:26 AM - May 02, 2024 (Edited)
Dave D
A
An excellent example Mr. Bouzy.
05:55 PM - May 01, 2024
Magical Mystery Tour (MrG / NAFO)
A
I'm reminded of the old corporate world joke: "If our marketing department sold sushi, they'd call it COLD DEAD RAW FISH."

This reminds of abrasive people who say: "I don't have the time for tact."

With the reply: *Naw, you don't have the brains for it.*
04:29 PM - May 01, 2024
Eddie Feldmann
A
In Soc. 101 in college, we had a stats prof. coming in as a guest. I argued with the Soc. Prof. that you could lie with stats and she said NO! The stats Prof. came in and she said this student says you can lie with statistics. The Stats Prof said " Oh yes of course you can." So there.
04:12 PM - May 01, 2024
Ces Thee History Geek
A
In response to Eddie Feldmann.
😂😂😂Silly Sociology prof....

I was very lucky to have an excellent, savvy stats prof in college.
04:55 PM - May 01, 2024
Bruno and Augie’s Dad
A
It’s not just polls. It’s all over legislation and ballot initiatives. We had a land use vote that was split evenly: 50% of both Dems and GOP for it, 50% of both Dems and GOP opposed. All because of the wording.
04:10 PM - May 01, 2024
Angela
A
Brilliant. As always thank you for keeping it real.
03:57 PM - May 01, 2024
Jack Jeng
A
Apparently people dislike Green more than they dislike Johnson.
02:44 PM - May 01, 2024
ML Hart
A
100% they all do it.

I worked in Marketing/Comm at a major university for 10+ years. Wrote brochures, manuals, speeches - and polls. Boss would tell me what their boss wanted the outcome to be, and I had to frame the questions to appear fair, but provide that result.
02:37 PM - May 01, 2024
DS Spouting
A
In response to ML Hart.
Exactly! You can make the numbers tell whatever story fits your agenda.
03:21 PM - May 01, 2024
Elena
A
In response to ML Hart.
👍🏽 🎯
06:50 AM - May 03, 2024
Elizabeth Wilkinson
A
Interesting.
02:33 PM - May 01, 2024

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}