Robert Reich
A
This vast consolidation of wealth and power at the top has not been due to neutral market forces.

The “free market” does not exist.

It is designed.

It either advances public purposes or it serves the monied interests.
12:29 PM - Mar 16, 2023
Copperpot5
A
In response to Robert Reich.
This made the front page of Reddit this week. The original comment is from 2017, but like the person who "retweeted" it I know it's going to stick with me. Fantastic analogy.
10:46 AM - Mar 17, 2023
Cyndi Brown
A
In response to Copperpot5.
It's true. I didn't go straight to college out of high school because I couldn't afford the $25 admission fee.
08:10 AM - Mar 15, 2024
CurrSpecialtiesFairytale
A
Yes: Economy requires prudent stewards.
Clinton CG Tax Cut to 15% clearly stymied Wage & GDP Growth. It crushed inflation & sucked wealth to executives. It was only #TaxScam that woke inflation as Boosting Equities for liquidation was key objective & this enticed historic rush to Gross Margins.
03:18 PM - Mar 16, 2023
Janice
A
My morning @rbreich spout. 🐳💙
01:12 PM - Mar 16, 2023
Trauma Epidemic
A
Or it's inherently corrupt and only (some) governments (and non-profit organizations) counteract that to advance public purposes.
12:46 PM - Mar 16, 2023
William Tulloch
A
I like to use "Little House on the Prairie" to show people what actual free markets - e.g., small scale family farming - and captured markets look like. The Ingalls were farmers and they were not rich. The Olesens were monopolists and were rich as all get out.
12:43 PM - Mar 16, 2023
Kyla Boyse
A
Absolutely! The fatalism that got us here needs to end. We can set the ground rules for the system that we want--one that works for the people!
12:38 PM - Mar 16, 2023
Jacqueline Wallace
A
In response to Kyla Boyse.
If there’s a “we”, then we should at least try.
11:51 PM - Mar 14, 2024
TheGoodBuck
A
Makes me laugh (bitterly) when people say "THE SYSTEM IS BROKEN!"
No, that's exactly what it was designed to do.
12:38 PM - Mar 16, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}