David Slack
A
Hi. I have depression. It's largely under control now thanks to good therapists, the right medication, and a lot of hard work. But for a lot of my adult life, I thought often about killing myself.

Until I had an experience that showed me what that really meant. That's what I want to tell you abou
09:18 PM - Mar 16, 2023
David Slack
A
In response to David Slack.
As part of my therapy work, I went to a workshop for survivors of trauma. Some people, like me, were struggling with depression and other chronic conditions. But other people there were survivors of loved ones who had died by suicide and meeting them changed my life.
09:20 PM - Mar 16, 2023
David Slack
A
These people who had lost someone they loved to suicide -- it was like a bomb had gone off inside their head. I honestly can't describe the anguish that they were in The haunting, seemingly endless struggle to comprehend the incomprehensible. The wound that just wouldn't heal.
09:23 PM - Mar 16, 2023
David Slack
A
I had always told myself that the world would be better off without me, that killing myself would make things better for everyone. But meeting these survivors finally showed me what suicide really is: an act of violence against everyone who cares about you.
09:28 PM - Mar 16, 2023
David Slack
A
And when I realized that killing myself would do profound and lasting harm to anyone who knew me or cared about me, my thoughts of suicide became much easier to reject.

Do I still struggle with self-loathing? Sure. I'm a writer, after all. But would I ever want to hurt people like that? No way.
09:31 PM - Mar 16, 2023
David Slack
A
Anyway, I just wanted to share this here in case it helps anyone else. If you're struggling, please know that you're not alone. And if you're thinking about hurting yourself, please call 988 or reach out to the National Suicide and Crisis Lifeline https://988lifeline.org/
09:36 PM - Mar 16, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}