Alberto Pastor
A
"Researchers have uncovered new details on how a common weed is able to thrive under hot, dry conditions, a potential roadmap to engineering crops that are resistant to the effects of climate change."
Nature is full of wonders to discover
🌱🌾☀️ #Purslane #Photosynthesis #nature #climatechange
06:56 PM - Mar 22, 2023
Ann Cantelow
A
In response to Alberto Pastor.
It's so tasty itself, too! Last year, I chopped it and put it in yogurt with roasted cumin, and also added chopped purslane into deviled eggs. This year I plan to make a space for it in my garden.
01:32 PM - Jan 10, 2024 (Edited)
SLS StickFigure
A
In our Latin markets this is called verdolaga, and it's quite common these days. Delicious but a wee bit delicate. It's hard to find really fresh decent-looking bundles. Grows like a weed, so anyone with some land can easily plant and harvest it for themselves.
08:28 PM - Dec 29, 2023
Alberto Pastor
A
In response to SLS StickFigure.
Yeah, it's their common spanish name, derived of the latin name, Portulaca oleracea, which is the scientific name too 💚
08:35 PM - Dec 29, 2023
Civil Canuck
A
Grew up on a farm and as a kid, hoed in summer. Agree, purslane was tenacious, stayed green in any drought. This is news.
06:36 PM - Mar 26, 2023
Barbara Kiebel
A
I've spent years and years trying to rid my garden of purslane but the biggest success I've had is realizing that it could be eaten and now I've got neighbors that help me pull it out of the ground!
01:50 PM - Mar 25, 2023
Barb C ✊
A
It grows rampant in my flower beds and virtually impossible ti get rid of.
08:26 PM - Mar 22, 2023
Laura Spouts N Spurts
A
07:37 PM - Mar 22, 2023
Alberto Pastor
A
In response to Laura Spouts N Spurts.
I love chimichurri !!! I have to taste this 💚
07:43 PM - Mar 22, 2023
Sashi Thapa
A
Pulled out and thrown in the compost without knowing purslane is highly nutritious- and free!
07:18 PM - Mar 22, 2023
Alberto Pastor
A
In response to Sashi Thapa.
I didn't know of its existence until today, super nutritive, looks a little like arugula, perfect for salads if you're bored of using lettuce 💚
07:41 PM - Mar 22, 2023
L B
A
Purslane took over my garden last summer.
07:06 PM - Mar 22, 2023
GenXHippie
A
Can confirm. It thrives in the dry, unattended, sandy soil in my yard. Now I feel bad for digging it up.
07:04 PM - Mar 22, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}