Christopher Bouzy
A
As more people join, this will become less of a problem. I will see if we can do something to limit it. However, we are trying not to mess with the timeline so we don't influence what you see.
Tanya Frantzen @Weematanya
Hi @cbouzy ! I love it here. The beta is improving daily and it is amazing! One thing i would love is if in the timeline when people retweet the same thing it doesn't show up repeatedly. I don't even know how this would work, but right now it is the thing that's bugging me. THANK YOU!!
01:12 PM - Mar 25, 2023
01:32 PM - Mar 25, 2023
Professor Kyle
A
In response to Christopher Bouzy.
Twitter has an option to "turn off retweets" on any account you follow. If frequently echoed spouts bother you, something similar here seems like the best way to deal with that. That said, without an algorithm (yay!), if you don't see echos you're gong to miss a lot of spouts you'd want to see.
12:17 AM - Jun 25, 2023

Only followers of this user (Goose) can see their posts

Nomad Road
A
Best leave it working normally.

As timelines get packed with more content faster, our echoes will fall in and not stack up

It's going to take a few months to get rolling hard and by 2024 we should be a well-oiled reality check machine, with positive energy & healthy snark.
04:49 AM - Mar 26, 2023
Diana Demarest
A
I love this place Christopher. I love the atmosphere, the progress. But for the love of God & all that's Holy, please do something about the emojis.

There are so many dupes of the same one & they aren't sorted or labeled and no way to search them.

Love from, An Emoji Dependent Spoutible User.
08:30 PM - Mar 25, 2023
Tim Graf
A
In response to Diana Demarest.
To avoid the emoji organization mess, you can right-click in the spout window and select "emojis & symbols". that will bring up the normal browser-based emoji list, which is organized in the usual way. :-)
05:10 PM - Mar 28, 2023
Karen Springer
A
Please don't mess with it! The only people who complain about that are people who only follow a small number of accounts. If you follow a greater number, it's not a problem.
03:17 PM - Mar 25, 2023
Fredhoof
A
In response to Karen Springer.
Finding the sweet spot between "I want a more varied feed" and "I'm drowning under a firehose of spouts" can be a challenge. Tipping too far towards the latter is why I bailed on actually having a social media account several years ago.
08:40 PM - Mar 25, 2023
Nomad Road
A
In response to Karen Springer.
Just came back after a few weeks of trolling Twitter to counter the daily insurrectionist talking points.

I have more followers than following here but hope to grow the latter a lot.

It's a worthwhile to wean off Twitter & FB.

We will need a clean communication platform come 2024.
04:54 AM - Mar 26, 2023
John Colagioia
A
For what it's worth, I don't think anybody would see it as interference, if all the echoes got consolidated with the most recent. Maybe on hover or click or whatever, show the times that everybody echoed it?
03:09 PM - Mar 25, 2023
Pamela B'well
A
We are encouraged to echo but I think that backfires. Folks get tired of reading the same spout and block accounts that are echoed repeatedly.

(That theory was suggested to me,
and I think it’s valid.)
02:41 PM - Mar 25, 2023
Nomad Road
A
In response to Pamela B'well.
As Spoutible grows that should become much less noticeable.

I like it here too.
04:55 AM - Mar 26, 2023
JeffCO
A
Echo clumping is an issue for me no matter how many I follow, scrolling backward through the timeline means when I and others echo right away, it creates a clump.

My advice on the user side is: bookmark spouts already echoed a lot, then echo later.

Time-release echoes!
02:36 PM - Mar 25, 2023
Nomad Road
A
In response to JeffCO.
Good suggestion
04:56 AM - Mar 26, 2023
Nomad Road
A
In response to JeffCO.
Good suggestion. Delaying echoes until after scanning the news helps to reduce our trigger addictions too.
Helps us think before we act.
what a concept
04:58 AM - Mar 26, 2023
Nancy Kurinec
A
It's consolidating all identical echos with the original spout so the original shows on the timeline with a number showing how many echos it has by those I follow/who follow me. I spend a lot of time just scrolling through multiple echoes I have already liked and echoed to find ones I haven't.
02:24 PM - Mar 25, 2023
Karima H Wahid
A
Thank you for all your time and effort
02:10 PM - Mar 25, 2023
Carlos OKieffe
A
A lot of times these issues/features aren’t simple fixes/changes or require system design or architecture changes. This isn’t disregarding an issue , it just may require a deeper technical dive than it seems from the outside
02:07 PM - Mar 25, 2023
Bob Throckmorton
A
It seems unlikely that this will improve with more users. Already, I'm having to unfollow certain accounts to rid my timeline of the relentless parade of redundant echoes.

Giving us the option to exclude from our timelines any echoes of spouts by accounts we already follow would be a good start.
02:07 PM - Mar 25, 2023
Nomad Road
A
In response to Bob Throckmorton.
I don't know. I like to see what's trending and the 24/7 news cycle and dangerous talking points kind of requires us to know what is coming to the fore in the news.
The GOP is passing legislation so fast we have to be alert and massive amplification is almost necessary.

we can deal with it
05:00 AM - Mar 26, 2023
Professor Kyle
A
In response to Bob Throckmorton.
This is a feature that Twitter has that works well: "turn of retweets" from accounts you choose.
12:09 AM - Jun 25, 2023
M
A
Can you elaborate on why you think echo-echo is less of an issue with more users? It seems counterintuitive if people are trying to make something trend without an algorithm. Thanks!
01:48 PM - Mar 25, 2023
Nomad Road
A
In response to M.
If we follow thousands of accounts, (which took years to accumulate and clean up best we could on Twitter) then there is a ton of content that will allow the many echoes to get thinned out among new content.

The pace of new spouts will thin out the overly echoed topics.
05:05 AM - Mar 26, 2023
Kai Kronfield
A
I also so appreciate this place and what you all have built/are building. Related to this ask, if we were able to mute someone's echos or self-echos, that would rule. (But it's probably a major lift and I'll just be patient) Thanks!
01:45 PM - Mar 25, 2023
Adam Desrosiers
A
There's a downside to this hands-off approach to timelines. Seeing only spouts chronologically can limit interactions with people from other timezones or countries. I love the timeline, but it could definitely exist alongside an algorithmically generated feed as a secondary option.
01:41 PM - Mar 25, 2023
LGsMom
A
Thanks. This is my biggest frustration with Spoutible so I do hope there’s a fix out there. This is a great product, I love the interface and the community is fantastic. Further, thank you for enforcing the rules and keeping this a safe place!! ❤️❤️ Can’t wait for the app!!!
01:40 PM - Mar 25, 2023
CarbonHal
A
When someone you follow echos one of your spouts it shouldn't appear in your timeline imho.
01:36 PM - Mar 25, 2023
Nomad Road
A
In response to CarbonHal.
Nah, I want to see it all!
05:06 AM - Mar 26, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}