Erin Oliver
A
So I've decided to run for my local school board. Any advice, tips, ideas for campaigning? Going up against an incumbent who doesn't add much value to board but is a coach in district. And another who is a retired school teacher. 2 seats are open. We don't think M4L are running. TIA #runforsomething
03:04 PM - Apr 09, 2023
Gretchen Brahm
A
In response to Erin Oliver.
I helped run a school board campaign almost 2 years ago. Some tips: have a clear, consistent message. It should be at most 3 main goals. Make sure you start finding some volunteers NOW, including people who can help with the graphic design aspects of logos, websites, yard signs, social media posts..
11:35 PM - Apr 09, 2023
Gretchen Brahm
A
In response to Gretchen Brahm.
Find some good people who can help run your campaign. They'll be behind the scenes organizing your volunteers. I cannot say enough about volunteers. Boots on the ground to door knock, canvass, etc.

Get out to events. Hold them yourself. Be visible. TALK TO TEACHERS. They need to have a voice.
11:37 PM - Apr 09, 2023
Gretchen Brahm
A
Lastly, fundraise, fundraise, fundraise. Start as soon as you are allowed to. Hold various events to make this happen, some for larger donors and some for smaller donors. You NEED the money.

Do not underestimate the power of digital advertising...get some ads out as soon as you can.
11:41 PM - Apr 09, 2023
Gretchen Brahm
A
Oh! Essentially, people need to see your name. The more they see it, and the more accessible your website is, the better chance you have for winning. Thus, the digital ads, yard signs, canvassing, BUT don't underestimate the power of car painting. It gets your name out in such an easy way.
11:42 PM - Apr 09, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}