Melody Pond (they/them)
A
thread 1/2
Did you know the max SSI payment for 2023 is $914/month ($3,612 below the current poverty line?) SSI is a program that’s supposed to help disabled ppl & seniors (who pass the rigorous rqmnts) survive. Most are denied on the 1st try, while appeals can take years. Not everyone survives the wait.
09:08 PM - Apr 10, 2023
Melody Pond (they/them)
A
thread 2/2
07:38 PM - Jan 01, 2024
TriXteR Phillips
A
In response to Melody Pond (they/them).
I've applied and been denied 3 times since 2015. My dad and are planning a last ditch attempt of moving from KS to Co so I can get Medicaid to get the medical records I need to get a favorable decision in a future SSI claim.

The system is rigged, it feels like.
11:09 PM - Feb 26, 2024
Melody Pond (they/them)
A
In response to TriXteR Phillips.
It really is. I was denied SSDI, for lack of records, pre-ACA, but KY opted in to expanded Medicaid, thanks to frmr gov. Steve Beshear (D). I signed up straight away & got enough records that I was relatively quickly approved for SSI when I reapplied. If you go that route, I hope it works out! 🤞
11:25 PM - Feb 26, 2024
NaturesMuse Sunnyside Up
A
So true!
08:04 PM - Oct 30, 2023
You look marvelous
A
When I was a single mother on welfare in CA, I received $800 a month, my rent was $2,100 for a one bedroom apt. Tell me how people are getting wealthy off government handouts...
02:59 PM - Sep 26, 2023
💜 Callie 💜
A
As with many other programs, the intentions have been undermined.

👉🏽Social Security aka Old-Age, Survivors, and Disability Insurance is supposed to be a supplemental safety-net.

Stagnant wages over the decades leave folks w/o realistic savings options. Forcing many to rely solely on SSI.
06:37 PM - Jul 28, 2023

Only followers of this user (Neurofabulous11) can see their posts

Dianne Rees
A
I feel like it's state-sanctioned genocide in a way. There's no doubt what the consequences are
01:12 PM - Jun 06, 2023
Anton Brakhage
A
In response to Dianne Rees.
I refer to things like this, designed to squeeze the poor until life becomes unliveable to punish them for being poor, as Economic Cleansing.

#EconomicCleansing
10:51 PM - Jun 07, 2023
Yvette
A
How can anyone live on that if they don’t have family or friends to help them?
01:06 PM - Jun 06, 2023
Melody Pond (they/them)
A
In response to Yvette.
You pretty much have to have help, but they also add penalties if you do. Like if you live with family they can cut your payments by up to about 1/3, unless you can find a way to prove you pay rent. There’s also a marriage penalty.
02:02 PM - Jun 06, 2023
ALIS ITLATOL
A
keeping elders & disabled impoverished is by supremacist design -- no $ for lobbyists = no seat at the table, no $ for food/basic needs = bad health/hurry up n die.
As for poverty guidelines - this is the national fed info to qualify for SNAP, medicaid, subsidized housing, etc
09:54 PM - Apr 10, 2023
Missy The MAGA Slayer
B
My mom has to live with me cause she only gets $413 a month
09:27 PM - Apr 10, 2023 (Edited)
Melody Pond (they/them)
A
In response to Missy The MAGA Slayer.
That’s sadly not uncommon. The rules make it nearly impossible to survive alone, but also penalize for living w others. It’s ridiculous & shameful, esp given the extreme wealth held by those at the top. Our country has plenty of resources, but they’re greedily hoarded away from ppl who need it most.
09:50 PM - Apr 10, 2023
Yvette
A
In response to Missy The MAGA Slayer.
That’s horrifying.
01:06 PM - Jun 06, 2023
Melody Pond (they/them)
A
While the max payment is $914, the average payment is $553.84. It’s extremely hard to qualify, but easy to lose. There’s a ton of rules & limits, like a $2000 asset limit, a marriage penalty, & many other punitive restrictions.
09:18 PM - Apr 10, 2023
Yvette
A
Wow. I read recently that without a private attorney specialized in SSI you have almost no chance of winning a case (at least here in NY).
01:07 PM - Jun 06, 2023
Jodi B
A
The rules are extremely confusing and the limits are ridiculously low. If a recipient tries to supplement their income, they can keep $65, but the benefit is cut $1 for every $2 they make after that. There's really no way to get ahead at all. It's purely punitive and cruel.
10:57 PM - Jun 07, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}