Jess Martin
A
It doesn’t offer an alternative though. So if not #meritocracy - what then?

Aristocracy?
Nepotism?
Oligarchic rule?

It seems the ones criticising meritocracy want mediocrity.

If it’s not a level playing field, what kind of field is it? Wealth, power and connections?
bill doyle @bill_doyle
‘In addition to being false, a growing body of research in psychology and neuroscience suggests that believing in meritocracy makes people more selfish, less self-critical and even more prone to acting in discriminatory ways. Meritocracy is not only wrong; it’s bad.’
05:03 AM - Apr 22, 2023
05:09 AM - Apr 22, 2023
Fietser Pete - Peter Som de Cerff
A
In response to Jess Martin.
Why do you equate meritocracy with a level playing field?
05:18 AM - Apr 22, 2023
Jess Martin
A
In response to Fietser Pete - Peter Som de Cerff.
Where did I argue it was a level playing field?

It’s not. But at least in a meritocracy there are more transparent hurdles as opposed to other systems in place.
05:20 AM - Apr 22, 2023
A
I assume that as your implication from your statements:
"It seems the ones criticizing meritocracy want mediocrity.
If it’s not a level playing field, what kind of field is it?"

Meritocracy can perhaps be seen as an amplifier of the status quo biases, with credential-ism more-so, seems to me.
05:34 AM - Apr 22, 2023
Jess Martin
A
In response to Fietser Pete - Peter Som de Cerff.
I would not know what your status quo over there is but the outcomes are easy to see.

My point is, what is the alternative to a meritocracy if it is currently unappetising? There are oligarchical systems around the world that are completely repellent
05:45 AM - Apr 22, 2023
A
There is no simple solution. Add family financial supports, revise college entry criteria, fully fund public education through college, eliminate private schools, plus add affirmative action for all jobs would likely come close. Then merit within peer pools.
06:03 AM - Apr 22, 2023
A
With social supports for families, probably the net incentive for killing yourself at work to get ahead would drop, to the disadvantage of investors and corporations. Productivity could drop, and hours worked, but given that value of productivity hasn't much accrued to labor, this is fine too.
06:04 AM - Apr 22, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}