Elie Mystal
A
I was just caught behind an old guy counting out exact change and, instead of being annoyed (I don't want to do my work today no way), I just kind of marveled by how much society must have changed since that guy was a kid.
And then, marveled at how much it's changed since I was.
02:26 PM - Apr 27, 2023
CzechChik60
A
In response to Elie Mystal.
I try to give exact change when possible, and most cashiers really appreciate it.
08:24 AM - Apr 16, 2024
Jeff Russell
A
This just happened over the weekend. A friend of mine used his debit card at the grocery store and left the card in the machine and went home. The next day he found that someone at that same store bought $73 and some change of groceries on his card. The store is now trying to figure out who it was.
11:12 PM - Jan 01, 2024
Jeff Russell
A
Want to see a checkout clerk freakout? Next time something ends in like 87 cents, 94 cents, etc., when you hand them the bills give them the .02 cents or .04 cents and watch their expression.
10:57 PM - Jan 01, 2024
Pa Dad
A
Not to offend either gender, I really don't like getting in line behind people who pay by check. They don't have their checkbook out, have to search for it, and then ask who do I make the check-out to, how much? Then proceed to be perfect in their penmanship and hold up the whole line.
04:11 PM - Dec 15, 2023
Tom Gambell
A
When I was a kid, there was no Elie Mystal on TV. We're a much better world no that there is!
07:41 PM - Apr 30, 2023
Tom Gambell
A
In response to Tom Gambell.
*NOW
07:50 PM - Apr 30, 2023
Friends of Pine Ridge Reservation
A
You’re a good person @ElieNYC 💙💙
10:54 PM - Apr 27, 2023
Dıanna
A
I confess to occasionally being a change-counter. I mean, one of us has to, either I do it in paying, or they do it it making change.
So it's odd to me that it's seen as unusual.
When paying with cash, of course.
10:46 PM - Apr 27, 2023
Jonathan Hecht (He/Him)
A
In response to Dıanna.
“One of us has to..”

I never thought of it like this but that makes total sense!
07:56 PM - Jul 26, 2023
Audrey Roybal
A
A real lost skill is counting change back. You know, the item costs $7.42, and the person hands the cashier a $10 bill. This was before the cash register did the math.
08:57 PM - Apr 27, 2023
Cate McGowan
A
In response to Audrey Roybal.
I automatically counted back $2.58 in my mind as I placed the money in the customer's palm... two singles, two quarters (or five dimes if I'm low on quarters), a nickel, and three pennies. I even saw the drawer slots as I did it!
01:03 AM - May 04, 2023
Bev Turner
A
Ain't that the truth.
07:55 PM - Apr 27, 2023
Guitar Lady
B
Sometimes that happens to me. I actually thought about it last night. In 120 years we have advanced technologically farther than the whole of our human history combined.
05:33 PM - Apr 27, 2023
Kevin Smith
A
I'm just old enough to remember old fashioned cash registers where prices had to be entered in one at a time. When scanning bar codes came around it was a major game changer.
05:09 PM - Apr 27, 2023
Cate McGowan
A
In response to Kevin Smith.
I was fast at the cash register entering in prices. I'd group all the same-priced items together and multiply the cost by that number. I was a whiz on the register! My managers loved me.
01:04 AM - May 04, 2023
Shawn (#PsychopathyAwareness)
A
A week ago I witnesses a younger fella pay a $500 balance due with coins. And that wasn't the most alarming thing. He was completely apathetic about the obvious holdup annoying the line of people behind him impatiently waiting to cash out.

Humans,,, being...
05:08 PM - Apr 27, 2023
L Geisenest
A
In response to Shawn (#PsychopathyAwareness).
I admit I’m rather impressed.
10:45 PM - Apr 27, 2023
Arleen West
A
I’m always amazed when I realize these old people are not much older than me. 😔
03:13 PM - Apr 27, 2023
John Scott
A
The day is coming when you will be that man counting out exact change. (I would be but I am married and don't carry cash.) Kind of surprised the cashier could handle it. Mostly Google Pay and Apple Pay with some old fashion debit cards thrown in.
02:59 PM - Apr 27, 2023
Larry Mall
A
I'm one of those old guys who counts out his change at check-out. Have to say, I believe I take less time doing that, than those who place their card in the chip card reader, enter their PIN, and wait for the transaction to register, before receiving their receipt.
02:46 PM - Apr 27, 2023
The 3rd Corey
A
Records. 8 tracks. Cassettes. CDs. Files.

All in one lifetime 🎶
02:46 PM - Apr 27, 2023
Jeff Russell
A
In response to The 3rd Corey.
Now I can't think of any car that has a CD player in it. I just traded my 2019 Highlander in for a 2023 and it doesn't have one. I did use it occasionally but mostly listen to Sirius radio.
11:04 PM - Jan 01, 2024
Eddie Feldmann
A
We have gone from waiting on someone to count out pennies to waiting for someone to figure out how to use ApplePay. But luckily the common ground for all of us is being pissed off while waiting for someone to write a check.
02:37 PM - Apr 27, 2023
Sue Ardan
A
In response to Eddie Feldmann.
Not I. I still respect elders who use them. ✌️
02:48 PM - Apr 27, 2023
Jeff Russell
A
In response to Eddie Feldmann.
I'm not crazy about anyone using a check but FFS write in the date, the store name and sign it while they are ringing you up so that you just have to put the amount in. Don't wait until the clerk gives you the total and then start to search for the check book.
11:09 PM - Jan 01, 2024
Kathy Wipf
A
I love how you describe your moment of marvel. Had you chosen to be impatient, unkind, annoyed, then that moment of gazing with wonderment would not have occurred, & the rest of us would have been deprived of its wisdom. Thank you.
02:35 PM - Apr 27, 2023
Anne Lutz Fernandez
A
I can remember when I was a kid and the bank introduced its first ATM. They gave the ATM and card a cute cat mascot so customers wouldn't be afraid to use it.
02:32 PM - Apr 27, 2023
Michael Allbritton
A
I was thinking something similar not too long ago. The earliest big change I have memory of is the watching the moon landing on TV in the middle of the night.
02:31 PM - Apr 27, 2023
Deb Lane
A
I remember when I was the remote control :-)
02:31 PM - Apr 27, 2023
Michael Allbritton
A
In response to Deb Lane.
Yes, but, were you ever the antenna?
02:32 PM - Apr 27, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}