Mary OContrary
A
Artist Jonathan Harris and his painting titled “Critical Race Theory”

#CriticalRaceTheory
#artists
11:31 AM - Apr 27, 2023
Matt Egan he/him/his
A
That couldn't be more apropos of the moment we're living through. I hope prints of it become available. Its just so perfect, I can't verbalize the sense of "wrong" it brings out in me, but all real art should challenge the viewer to better understand themselves and the world and teach something.
In response to Mary OContrary.
10:28 PM - Apr 30, 2023
Mary OContrary
A
In response to Matt Egan he/him/his.
Many claim to not be racist, yet if they were to really deep dive and question their own knee jerk reactions, they would realize that they do have biases that exist within at a SUBCONSCIOUS level.

The challenge then is to raise those biases to a conscious level where they can be seen and healed.
10:39 PM - Apr 30, 2023
Matt Egan he/him/his
A
Very well put! I do always think of myself as not racist, but that subconscious racist racism could be what makes it challenge me. I'm always kind and treat people the same, but if you're thesis is correct, I have some introspection to do. Thank you for your insightful and non-judgemental response💙
10:44 PM - Apr 30, 2023
Matt Egan he/him/his
A
I spent quite some time doing mindful meditation on this and I truly believe its the concept of an(other) culture trying to be erased is what is really making my uncomfortable with the painting. Its what the painting represents that makes me uncomfortable...
05:15 PM - May 06, 2023

{{ notificationModalContent }} {{ promptModalMessage }}